Guinea Keet B2 Deficiency

dairyman

Chirping
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Pikeville, Tennessee
I bought 12 guinea keets last weekend. All was going well until I noticed one laying on its side with its legs curled underneath it. Now, it runs around using its wings and the hocks of its legs. I have been giving oral doses of Vitamin B2 supplement, but there has been no visible change. What should I do?

I bought 12 guinea keets last weekend. All was going well until I noticed one laying on its side with its legs curled underneath it. Now, it runs around using its wings and the hocks of its legs. I have been giving oral doses of Vitamin B2 supplement, but there has been no visible change. What should I do?
Vitamin B2 is not going to solve its problems.

You did not mention what you are feeding these keets, but if it is chick starter, it does not have the levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin that is needed for proper development of the keets.

If you are going to give a B vitamin, use vitamin B complex which has all the B vitamins including niacin and thiamine that they need.

Vitamin B2 is not going to solve its problems.

You did not mention what you are feeding these keets, but if it is chick starter, it does not have the levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin that is needed for proper development of the keets.

If you are going to give a B vitamin, use vitamin B complex which has all the B vitamins including niacin and thiamine that they need.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can you tell me if I could take my own B complex vitamin and put it in their water? I have capsules with powder inside that would be easy to use, but I also have no idea how much they should get.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can you tell me if I could take my own B complex vitamin and put it in their water? I have capsules with powder inside that would be easy to use, but I also have no idea how much they should get.
Yes. Use 1/2 capsule or tablet for one gallon of water. Make it the sole source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Yes. Use 1/2 capsule or tablet for one gallon of water. Make it the sole source of water. It should be made fresh daily.
Thank you! I have a couple kiddos starting to get bent toes and I taped them. They also have some red parts on their faces, I don't know if it has to do with their color changing or it may be a deficiency. They have not been outside yet, their outdoor coop should be ready this week assuming the weather holds.
IMG_20211109_134510.jpg

Thank you! I have a couple kiddos starting to get bent toes and I taped them. They also have some red parts on their faces, I don't know if it has to do with their color changing or it may be a deficiency. They have not been outside yet, their outdoor coop should be ready this week assuming the weather holds.View attachment 2893182
Normally when bent toes occur later instead of at the hatch, it is due to inherited genetics.

Okay that's good to know. We may have had some accidental inbreeding but I was always worried their food didn't have everything they needed too. At least I know which eggs to eat lol

Back
Top Bottom