libarena

Songster
Jul 15, 2018
Nashville, TN
CE9BCEB5-5D4C-488A-95F5-78DCF5CF02F0.jpeg

After incubating for my first time, I’m proud to say that ALL OF THEM HATCHED! And they are all doing so well! I’m still in shock that beginner me was able to do it. Thank you Bob (R2elk) for helping me so much!

Now I’m curious to know what colours they are! Especially with the darker ones. I believe that 2 and 3 are pied and I think that 2 is a pearl gray but is 3 a pearl gray? His lines are very faded, along with 6. 3 and 6 are almost completely brown (the flash made their lines pop a little more). As for the lighter five... I think 1, 4 and 5 are Buff Dundotte but 7 and 8 have light gray lines instead of the light browny colour... would that make them lavender or a coral blue?

If it helps, their momma is buff Dundotte and I believe their dad is a coral blue and possibly one of my pearl gray pieds. My buff Dundotte hen and coral blue boy are inseparable so I think they are the parents.

Let me know what you think! :ya

Attachments

• FAE9CB72-DC8F-4767-A890-BF5880D579C6.jpeg
    FAE9CB72-DC8F-4767-A890-BF5880D579C6.jpeg
    867.7 KB · Views: 30
View attachment 1876067

After incubating for my first time, I’m proud to say that ALL OF THEM HATCHED! And they are all doing so well! I’m still in shock that beginner me was able to do it. Thank you Bob (R2elk) for helping me so much!

Now I’m curious to know what colours they are! Especially with the darker ones. I believe that 2 and 3 are pied and I think that 2 is a pearl gray but is 3 a pearl gray? His lines are very faded, along with 6. 3 and 6 are almost completely brown (the flash made their lines pop a little more). As for the lighter five... I think 1, 4 and 5 are Buff Dundotte but 7 and 8 have light gray lines instead of the light browny colour... would that make them lavender or a coral blue?

If it helps, their momma is buff Dundotte and I believe their dad is a coral blue and possibly one of my pearl gray pieds. My buff Dundotte hen and coral blue boy are inseparable so I think they are the parents.

Let me know what you think! :ya
All of them have a solid center head stripe which means that all of them will be fully dotted except for the two pied ones because white masks everything including the dots.

Your Pied Pearl Gray is definitely the father of the pied ones and the ones that have pearl coloring. The Coral Blue male may or may not be the father of any of the lighter colors.

There are definitely no Coral Blue keets in the bunch because Coral Blues are partially dotted and there are no partially dotted keets in the group.

This used to be an excellent resource on guinea colors. Unfortunately they turned control of it over to someone who has arbitrarily decided that certain colors don't exist and that the names for certain colors should be changed. The keets are at the bottom of the page.

Helmeted Guinea Fowl Color Chart

1. Buff Dundotte (likely a female)
2. Pied Pearl Gray
3. Pied or possibly Pinto Pearl Gray
4. Buff Dundotte (likely a male)
5. Buff Dundotte (likely a female)
6. Pearl Gray
7. Buff Dundotte
8. ? May have been removed from the color chart.

All of them have a solid center head stripe which means that all of them will be fully dotted except for the two pied ones because white masks everything including the dots.

Your Pied Pearl Gray is definitely the father of the pied ones and the ones that have pearl coloring. The Coral Blue male may or may not be the father of any of the lighter colors.

There are definitely no Coral Blue keets in the bunch because Coral Blues are partially dotted and there are no partially dotted keets in the group.

This used to be an excellent resource on guinea colors. Unfortunately they turned control of it over to someone who has arbitrarily decided that certain colors don't exist and that the names for certain colors should be changed. The keets are at the bottom of the page.

Helmeted Guinea Fowl Color Chart

1. Buff Dundotte (likely a female)
2. Pied Pearl Gray
3. Pied or possibly Pinto Pearl Gray
4. Buff Dundotte (likely a male)
5. Buff Dundotte (likely a female)
6. Pearl Gray
7. Buff Dundotte
8. ? May have been removed from the color chart.

Thank you for your help!

Are lavenders fully dotted? Maybe my “coral blue” is a lavender? He’s always seemed darker to me and more blue than a typical lavender but maybe I will have to have a closer look tomorrow and see if he’s fully dotted. I need to learn more about different colours.

Do you think 5 could be pied? She doesn’t have stripes on the side of her head like the others.

And what causes the pearl gray keets to be different colours? Because the two darker ones (3 and 6) look different to the lighter sibling (2). Does that happen a lot in pearl grays? I was hoping they’d be a brown keet or something haha!

I attached a pic of possible parents. Mom is in the far back.

Attachments

• D5DB8FFA-E4B0-4461-A197-E27386AF2584.jpeg
    D5DB8FFA-E4B0-4461-A197-E27386AF2584.jpeg
    962.1 KB · Views: 30
Thank you for your help!

Are lavenders fully dotted? Maybe my “coral blue” is a lavender? He’s always seemed darker to me and more blue than a typical lavender but maybe I will have to have a closer look tomorrow and see if he’s fully dotted. I need to learn more about different colours.

Do you think 5 could be pied? She doesn’t have stripes on the side of her head like the others.

And what causes the pearl gray keets to be different colours? Because the two darker ones (3 and 6) look different to the lighter sibling (2). Does that happen a lot in pearl grays? I was hoping they’d be a brown keet or something haha!

I attached a pic of possible parents. Mom is in the far back.
Lavenders are fully dotted. Coral Blues are partially dotted.

From the photo it is difficult to get a good look at the side of the face but #5 looks just like #4 in that aspect. Number 5 does look a little darker than #4 which is the reason for thinking it is a female. The claim is that Buff Dundottes are sexable at hatch due to the females being darker colored than the males.

Pearl Grays may have one or two dark shade variance (DSV) genes. The color difference may be due to that or to age. Number 6 looks to be older than number 2 based on the wing feather growth.

A Brown keet will look similar to a cross between a Pearl Gray and a Buff Dundotte with the center head stripe looking more like a Pearl Gray head stripe and the back looking like a dark Buff Dundotte.

Brown keet

Back
Top Bottom