Guinea Keet help...not sure what is going on.

CrazyChickens09

Songster
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
SC Kansas
I have six 2-3 week old guinea keets. I currently keep them in a brooder box in my spare bathroom; when I went to change their water tonight they spooked really bad and trampled one of the keets; Since then it can stand up for a while then falls back down with its wings spread out and forward and scoots. I cannot physically see anything wrong (ie wounds, obvious injury) and I am not sure as to where to go from here.

Information:
2-3 week old Guinea keet
Fed- Gamebird grower
Temperature- 90 degrees
Bedding- 2+" of Pine shavings
was trampled by spooked siblings tonight
can stand but has trouble walking far

Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated..

After watching for awhile it appears to be its right leg... doesn't appear to be broken, so maybe a sprain. I don't have a way to keep it warm tonight away from the group so I will separate tomorrow when I can get more supplies. Any words of wisdom as what I need to be looking for as far as time line of not getting better( not trying to think negative, just trying to be prepared.

Being a keet, I think you will know pretty quick if it's going to get better or not. Also, as a keet, they are growing so fast that splinting may be difficult, as you don't want to prevent that leg from growing properly. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a keet that limped for a few WEEKS and she is now fine (I never knew what happened).

Also, I always start talking to the birds even when I am a little ways away so they gradually hear me approaching. It tends to cut down on the spook factor.I would start talking to them even when you are down the hallway making your way toward them.

Thank you for replying.. I started talking to them the day I got them and they have gotten a lot better on the spooking when I am approaching, they just spooked when I went to put the water back in the brooder.

We have 3 Guineas 2 males 1 female. Think she mated w 1? Think it's for life? The other males seems depressed and or angry? Looking for a possible female for Mario; wonder if that would help? About 9 months old. Any help and suggestions is appreciated. Thanks Cliff

Not much you can do with leg injuries when they are still so young and growing. You'll just have to wait it out and see if it mends itself. If it does die then the only advice I can give for next time is to get a radio and let it play during the day so the are always hearing noise and dont scare easily. Good luck.

Jimmy-2412
They don't like there being too many males to females. A new female is definitely needed to even out the flock and avoid the males attacking each other. Your guineas are just reaching maturity so haven't started showing aggression towards the odd one out yet, best to get a new female before then. I usually have two females to each male. Keeps everybody happy.

Back
Top Bottom