Guinea Keet not acting right, need help.

star2525

Songster
13 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Zanesville, Ohio
I have 6 Guinea Keets that I purchased from a woman here in Ohio, 5 of the Keets was all about the same size, one was a little smaller than the others and younger than the others by about 2 weeks, the smallest keet is not acting right and the other keets pick on it, they are all loose free ranging now, yesterday I look out and this keet is always the last to follow the others, I see this keet dusting herself, at least that's what I thought she was doing, so I approach her while she's dusting, and she's spinning around in circles on her side, as I approach she gets up and takes off, so I watch her and a couple of minutes later I see her down and spinning around again, again I approach her and she gets up and takes off, finally I catch her and now have her separated out in a Hutch outside with feed and water in it, I really don't know what to think, she also is doing this in the hutch. She is still smaller than the others and have never had Guineas before, I live in the Woods and I just sort of wonder if this could be possibly from a snake bite, and am at a total loss as to what to do to herp this keet.

Please advise. And Thank You.

Victoria

Exactly what you're doing so far. Isolating it to watch to see what is happening.

What are you feeding them? It could be a feed issue. Or the others are keeping it from food. Low birds can have it pretty rough within the flock so they need a little help from humans with extra feeders or making certain the feeder is full during the day so the under bird can sneak in to eat.

Keets so rarely have problems at that age its hard to know what is going on with it.

Funny you should post about this as we are having what sounds like a similar issue with 1 of our keets. He/she is smaller than the others. 1 is one 1 day older, but much bigger and DH has found this one lying on it's side doing the circle thing twice now, he separate it from the rest and then he/she is fine. DH is thinking it is a neurological issue. ( I haven't seen it happen myself, but am inclinded to agree by the sound of the symptoms.) I'm wondering if adding some selenium to it's water would help it any.

A few months ago I had a keet that was constantly spinning. She was a little whirling dervish.

The spinning diminished over several weeks until finally it stopped. I can't even tell which one it was now.

I'm sure glad to know I'm not the only with a Spinning Guinea. And I am keeping an eye on her and keeping her isolated, I'm also feeding Game Bird Starter Crumbles and scratch grains. I'm sure hoping she improves with the extra TLC. Thanks so much.

Victoria

Back
Top Bottom