Guinea Keet Training

okiekeets

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2018
I have ten 8 week old keets. I raised them in my garage for 6 weeks and then moved them to their coop two weeks ago. I kept them confined to their 8 ft. x 8 ft. coop for 10 days to condition them to their new home and then allowed them access to their 10 ft. x 28 ft. covered run. They are very content with their new home. I want to keep them confined to the coop/run for a few weeks while I train them to come on demand and get treated. I plan on allowing them to free range for several hours 3-4 times a week after they are trained to come on command. I gave them bloodworms but they do not seem to like them. Is it because they are too young? I would appreciate any advice on how to train guineas to come on command and what treats you would recommend. I should note that the guineas live at our farm, not our home. That is why they will be allowed to free range when I am at the farm 3-4 days a week. I have attached a picture of their new home.
cooppic.jpeg

Try mealworms(live are a favorite) or some brightly colored treats like fruits or flowers. Then make your call before you give them treats and while you give them treats, I'm trying to do the same with my teen chickens right now.

I will millet. I mistakenly typed bloodworms in previous post. I meant I tried mealworms but they were not interested. Maybe need to just keep trying.

Thank you:)

My guineas come up on the porch and beg me for mealworms. It is by far their favorite treat. Always has been. I don’t know why yours don’t like them. I’ve got 25 baby 3 week old chicks in the brooder that won’t touch mealworms or seed though. I’ve never seen any chicken or guinea who wouldn’t eat mealworms, until now.

Back
Top Bottom