Guinea Keet with One Eye

CYGChickies

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Hey everyone. I got my shipment from Ideal yesterday morning and today we realized that one of my white keets has one eye. I didn't notice yesterday which is weird but there's no blood on any chick or keet or the papertowel floor of their brooder. I guess he was just born this way. I'm not sure if his eye will open or if it's completely grown shut. There's a patch of grayish skin where the eye should be and it seems smaller than the other eye. I probably just have a pirate guinea. Haven't noticed anything odd about itother than this eye, all the whites are healthy rowdy little babies. I'm expecting that since they stick so close together as adults free-ranging him/her won't be a problem. I'm very thankful that the poor thing isn't totally blind!

CYG

poor thing! but I think you are right and he will do just fine with the flock.
he needs a pirate name
smile.png

We've dubbed our little pirate "Jack" or "Mary", depending on whether we end up with a hen or rooster.

CYG

I had a bobwhite quail that had a similar problem. I thought she was born with just one good eye. After several weeks, her eye opened. I have no idea how good her vision is, but I was shocked when I suddenly saw another eye on my little bird. I raise guineas too and have never seen the problem. Actually,out of the hundreds of quail I raise, I have only had one with the eye issue. So maybe eventually, your guinea will have another eye. Either way, he/she should do fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom