Guinea Keets Cold or Sleeping. HELP!

othonielreyes

Hatching
Jan 28, 2016
Hi, I just got some guinea keets today august 4th in the mail, they hatched on August 2nd. I have no experience with any sort of farm animal. I tried researching everything I can before I got them but I guess mostly everything is learned from experience. So I got 30 keets, they seem to be eating fine and drinking fine, I also gave them " save a chick electrolytes". So I read in several places online that when they are huddled up together they are cold and to put the brooder light closer but I live in south texas at the border, it's summer so it's 100 degrees over here. I doubt it they are cold

So are they just sleeping???

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I want to make sure I keep them all alive.

Thank you all in advance.

Here are the links to some pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yclnvemgbnoqt3j/Photo Aug 04, 8 46 15 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg2s5e4gg5ziy1u/Photo Aug 04, 8 46 27 PM.jpg?dl=0

:welcome!

Is it 100 degrees in your house where they are, or is it colder than outside? If it's colder they need a heat source. They don't usually all pile on each other like that unless they're cold, or at least mine haven't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.... They are in my shed though where I keep all my tools and animal feed. I just went right now and put the thermometer in the brooder box and it's 94 degrees.
:welcome!

Is it 100 degrees in your house where they are, or is it colder than outside? If it's colder they need a heat source. They don't usually all pile on each other like that unless they're cold, or at least mine haven't.

You may want to put a heat source out there for them to be safe - 94 is one degree below the recommended 95 which usually would be fine but if they're all piling on like that it might mean they're too cold. Make sure they can move away from the heat if they get too hot and just see if with the heat they stop huddling like that and are more active and spread out. Maybe try for an area under the heat source that's 95-100 degrees and see what happens. If they're still doing it, then I'm not sure why - perhaps something is scaring them or they just feel more secure that way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom