Guinea laying eggs - how to get her to sit on them

Losthorizons

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
I need help on how to encourage my Guinea to lay on her eggs. She doesn't seem interested in it at all. I tried leaving 3 eggs in a group in the nesting box, but it didn't make any difference. I've never tried hatching eggs before - so I'm guessing she needs to lay on them continually, or they won't hatch - I'm not sure if she lays on them at all during the day. She shares the coop with my Chickens. Could I try to get one of my Chickens to lay on them instead? Thanks for your help. :)

She is not going to sit on them unless she is broody.
Yes a chicken, that is broody can sit on them.
Do you know if these eggs are fertile?

I don't know for sure if the eggs are fertile, our rooster has been mating with her - I figured we would give it a try if someone will they on them to get hybrid guineas. We mostly got them for pest control, but lost all the rest to coyotes, and the place we bought them from is not close by to get more.

Last edited:
I need help on how to encourage my Guinea to lay on her eggs. She doesn't seem interested in it at all. I tried leaving 3 eggs in a group in the nesting box, but it didn't make any difference. I've never tried hatching eggs before - so I'm guessing she needs to lay on them continually, or they won't hatch - I'm not sure if she lays on them at all during the day. She shares the coop with my Chickens. Could I try to get one of my Chickens to lay on them instead? Thanks for your help. :)

Guineas tend to lay very large clutches of eggs before they go broody. It may take a nest of 20 or more eggs before your hen will go broody. It is very unlikely that a guinea hen would go broody on 3 eggs.

If you have a chicken hen that is already broody, you could give the eggs to her. I currently have one chicken sitting on a dozen guinea eggs and another broody chicken that I plan on giving another dozen eggs to today.

Ok, I'm very new to this, so I wasn't sure how the process works. I will keep leaving the eggs in there until there are a bunch, and see if she will lay on them. Thank you.

Looks like the Guinea hen decided to start sitting on her eggs. Hoping to get some babies soon. :)

The same eggs that were played a few weeks ago?
Or a new bunch ?

I would crack one egg and check fertility. Chicken roosters can breed with guinea and you can end up with a hybrid. You can also buy guinea eggs online and give her those.

Back
Top Bottom