Guinea limping

KirbyH

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Rougemont, NC
I have a small young female who showed up yesterday with a very noticeable limp. She is not the object of bullying in her flock but she sometimes roosts in with turkeys. I corralled her and have checked her leg and foot for any irregularities and I see nothing. No breaks, abrasions, sores, no indication of bumblefoot. Last night she was still favoring it but she can kick heartily when held. Anybody got ideas? Does she need to be kept in a warm environment while this resolves? If so does anyone know how to add heat to a small coop that is outside?

It's possible if she roost high that she sprained it landing. Usually it gets better on it's own, at least in my chickens it does
I am thinking that is probably what happened but others have suggested I keep her quiet for a day or two. I wish I had a good way to add some heat to her little outdoor coop.

I am thinking that is probably what happened but others have suggested I keep her quiet for a day or two. I wish I had a good way to add some heat to her little outdoor coop.
How’s she doing? I have a medical cage for my chickens in their coop but I don’t have one for my guineas. I have put them in a dog cage in the garage, but it’s hard on them due to their flightiness and stress when separated from their flock. I don’t usually supply heat outside because I’m too concerned about starting a fire. Hope she’s improving!

How’s she doing? I have a medical cage for my chickens in their coop but I don’t have one for my guineas. I have put them in a dog cage in the garage, but it’s hard on them due to their flightiness and stress when separated from their flock. I don’t usually supply heat outside because I’m too concerned about starting a fire. Hope she’s improving!
Thank you for asking. She seemed well enough yesterday that I released her when the gang of guineas came by for their morning mealworms. Immediately I could see she was less than 100%. I watched her sorta slink around listing slightly on the side of the injured leg. Then she went away from the group and huddled under a chair. Not her normal self at all. So I gently herded her back toward the little coop and she ran right in. There are a couple of birds who sit by her when the rest of them go away so for now I am going to let her re”coop”erate longer, if you will. I sometimes think it would be best to keep her cooped up until spring letting her out for spells on sunny days. If she feels bad, I am convinced she’ll return to her safe place. if she feels good she’ll go off with the gang.

Back
Top Bottom