Guinea nesting behavior.

Sumartae

Chirping
Mar 7, 2015
I have a guinea that has layed eggs in a nest inside the run. Just recently she as begun sitting on them at night but not during the day. Is this normal and does it mean she is broody?

Thanks for possible advise.

Suzanne

I have a guinea that has layed eggs in a nest inside the run. Just recently she as begun sitting on them at night but not during the day. Is this normal and does it mean she is broody?

Thanks for possible advise.

Suzanne

It may be a sign that she will be broody soon. Real incubation will not start until the hen is brooding full time with only short breaks away from the nest. Curious-how many eggs does she have?

I counted 23 I think. She sat on the nest a couple times today, but I'd say she was off more than she was on. I hope she has gone broody. :). She was on tonight again when I closed the birds up for the night. This is all new to me. I got the birds as keets a year ago in April and they've been giving me eggs all winter if memory serves me correctly, but this is the second time a hen has gone broody. The first hen had a nest that she was sitting on located under our porch. A preditor got her on her third night. I now have her eggs in a homemade incubator and they are due to hatch May 26 - 28. I also have 2 wild turkey eggs due the same time. From all the information I've read on how important it is to maintain exact temperature, exact humidity, it will be a miracle if they survive my incubator. Still I'm following the advice of someone that has had success with this homemade incubator, so guess I'll see. The candleing showed movement in almost all the eggs at day 10. Only one had a bloodline, which I discarded. The eggs are showing a lot of movement today on their first lockdown day. I have high hopes for all 16 guinea eggs and the two turkey eggs.

I counted 23 I think. She sat on the nest a couple times today, but I'd say she was off more than she was on. I hope she has gone broody. :). She was on tonight again when I closed the birds up for the night. This is all new to me. I got the birds as keets a year ago in April and they've been giving me eggs all winter if memory serves me correctly, but this is the second time a hen has gone broody. The first hen had a nest that she was sitting on located under our porch. A preditor got her on her third night. I now have her eggs in a homemade incubator and they are due to hatch May 26 - 28. I also have 2 wild turkey eggs due the same time. From all the information I've read on how important it is to maintain exact temperature, exact humidity, it will be a miracle if they survive my incubator. Still I'm following the advice of someone that has had success with this homemade incubator, so guess I'll see. The candleing showed movement in almost all the eggs at day 10. Only one had a bloodline, which I discarded and I accidentally broke one. The eggs are showing a lot of movement today on their first lockdown day. I have high hopes for all 16 guinea eggs and the two turkey eggs.

Back
Top Bottom