Guinea nests

It is amazing that the eggs weren't touched by your other critters. Many would like them for a snack - too many to name. I do think the dogs help keep predators in check if they are roaming around. I even thought about getting a flock guardian dog, but that could go either way and most people recommend that they are fenced in with the livestock. That's not going to happen on 10 acres! Plus they can be overly protective of the livestock and a bit aggressive toward others coming on the property. I guess there's no easy answer.

Love Maine! Our favorite place to vacation. We usually go to the Wells / Moody Beach area and were just talking about taking a trip up this winter. thankfully, I have several people who will take care of the guineas and great neighbors who would help out in an emergency.

:welcome

Here's my Dottie sitting pretty. The sad thing is, the papa was a French Jumbo and I don't think he's fertile. She was in with a regular domestic for a couple of days, so maybe we'll get one or two out of the batch. She's trying hard and is being a good mama.
thumbnail_20170616_100733[1].jpg

One of our girls is broody but we don't have males so no fertile eggs. Hoping your mama has success. We have some color varieties in our group shown here.
I used to live in Wells about three miles from the beach and know the Moody Beach area well. We do love Maine.
IMG_3855.JPG

those are nice pics guys,of buff shape birds.
nesting sometimes become a stress,as hens do whatever they want.lay in the woods and get killed and more. our guineas are about to breed this coming spring,the loss of birds is on the way..:bow

So far no luck with the mama hatching. I'll give her a few more days and then will have to take the eggs to get her off the nest. I did have luck with one in the incubator and maybe next year we'll have more luck with the fertility since I've made the decision to transition from Jumbos to regular domestics. @mainelyzal l love the color variety of your birds! They are gorgeous! @justin shrew good luck with your hatching and I hope you are able to keep your birds safe.

well, our guineas are not cooped.they were never cooped before since they were raised by a chicken. they freerange all year round. lay in the woods. i live in south africa where we got bob cats and lynx. but it is not so often to have a guinea killed by a predator. the only problame became when a mother guinea hen has got keets and lost them in the rain or grass. the season is progressing well here,with few showers of rain,and sunny days and flock has split into smaller groups or two,chasing has begin:wee:love and all those breeding mate attracting calls of hens "buck wheat" i live in the shoreline pf coast in the west,most guineas here begin laying late winter taking the good advantage of food fostered by winter rain. guys. i cant wait to greet the newly younglings as they run up and down the yard chasing ticks and grasshoppers:bun:)

It is not a huge flock,just 4 males and 6 hens,every year the flock increase or decrease. Coz of poor parenting.
Some people believe that guineafowl are thru monogamous. Yes they are to me. I have an adult male that mate with one hen every year after year even though the are other unpaired hen...

Back
Top Bottom