Guinea on back spasming

titp

Hatching
Oct 12, 2023
hi all

funny how you dont encounter and join a forum until you need help isnt it.

thanks for accepting me.

We have 5 guinea fowl about 9 months old.
Yesterday we moved the guineas into a new bigger coop next to the chickens as they are mesmerized by the hens.

A couple of hours a go I discovered a guinea on its her back moving her legs with head lolling.
I picked her up and she was fine apart from a repeated spasm almost like a hiccup.
After some time alone you would think she is fine apart from a lack of mobility, the legs move in a non coordinated manner almost like a stroke.

I dont know what to do, she seems peaceful but incapable. Its evening here so she can rest until tomorrow.

The guineas were moved into a similar area as previous just larger. There are no chems, toxins, weird bushes etc. No change of food or water.
We do have snakes in the area.

any ideas what is can be, I've really no idea at all?

thanks in advance

Can guineas get wry neck?
I'd give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, and brand from the grocery store.

Can guineas get wry neck?
I'd give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, and brand from the grocery store.
Guineas can get wry neck but wry neck is a symptom, not a disease and can have multiple different causes. I get the impression that this one probably flew into a wall and broke its neck. Personally I would cull it.

Guineas can get wry neck but wry neck is a symptom, not a disease and can have multiple different causes. I get the impression that this one probably flew into a wall and broke its neck. Personally I would cull it.
thanks Bob. my first fear was a broken neck however it is firm and the bird does raise its head fine without any lolling around.
Can they look okay yet have suffered an injury as such?

thanks Bob. my first fear was a broken neck however it is firm and the bird does raise its head fine without any lolling around.
Can they look okay yet have suffered an injury as such?
Yes, if the injury is at the base of the neck where it connects to the body, they will have control of the neck but nothing past the point of the injury.

If it were an older laying hen the symptoms are similar to what happens with a calcium deficiency. With insufficient calcium levels they lose motor control and cannot move their legs.

Yes, if the injury is at the base of the neck where it connects to the body, they will have control of the neck but nothing past the point of the injury.

If it were an older laying hen the symptoms are similar to what happens with a calcium deficiency. With insufficient calcium levels they lose motor control and cannot move their legs.
well, she was still very alert this morning but the legs were not working so she was despatched.
A real shame as we've had unwell poultry and this one was bright as a button.
thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom