• I'll stick with chickens, thank you.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

wegotchickens

DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Sevier County, TN
DD campaigned for 6 months for a guinea pig. She finally got permission, so we started shopping for the 'perfect pig'. Well, she's decided piggy's have no real personality and ferrets are very engaging little critters. DH says NO to the ferret.

I'm stuck in the middle, trying to make everyone happy.

Which makes a better pet for a 13-year old girl?

(So far we've found no piggy breeders locally. Only pet store pigs & ferrets. Does this make a difference?)

A ferret hands down. They do have a little odor, but they are the funniest most entertaining animal we have ever had. They weave and hide and play and are the sweetest disposition animals. GP's will bite, but have had 3 ferrets and not one bite. Check CL because you can always find some at a good price. I got these last two for $25.

I had a ferret when I was about that age. He was a great pet, but I got him when he was young and I held him ALL the time. Some ferrets are very high strung and may nip. Mine wasn't at all, but it really depends on the ferret and how much you handle them.

I've never had a guinea pig, but I do know that ferrets very rarely sit still. They need a lot of play and exercise, but they are extremely smart and quite entertaining! The good thing is they can be trained to use a litter box and they are fairly clean. The downside is that they can stink and typically need baths every other week or so. This can be a bit of work, so just make sure your daughter is ready to handle that if she should get a ferret.

Also, it can be difficult to find a ferret that is NOT a Marshall's ferret. I had a marshall's ferret from the pet store and he got cancer at the age of six and had to be put down. They typically live till about ten or so if you get one from a decent breeder. Just make sure you get a baby so you can tame it yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I loved my ferret and would probably consider getting another one when I have the time. His name was Dusty and he was such a sweety.

Ferret in my book too!!! They are incorrigble, sneaky, mischievious little things, and totally FUN! They are loving, playful, and have SUCH personality. They need alot of attention from their people. They are pocket creatures. Great for kids.

I voted ferret. We have one and he is very playful and sweet. I think a ferret would make a better pet than a guinea pig. They are more engaging than guinea pigs.

Personally I prefer GP than ferrets, due to high maintance, high attention to care and ferrets require alot of social interaction toward humans than GP.

It depends on the owner, is she a playful person, home a lot and not out with friends all the time?

If she is a homebody, go with the ferret. Much more playful and engaging. BUT if she is a sociable person and always wanting to go out with friends, a pet can go from being hot commodity to a chore pretty quick. If she likes being out with her friends most of the time, I would go with the GP, they are a little less maintenance in the play area. Cute and cuddly when you want to snuggle them, but pretty self reliable for the rest. A ferret will want to play whether she is there and willing or not.

I voted sticking with chickens because I have so many pets as it is!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I personally have only had GP but they all had their own personalities !
Never had Ferrets but my SIL with DIL had them and they were stinky and nippy . But I guess it would depend on how much the child would handle the animal - in that case the Ferret would probably be smarter - piggies are not the smarted .LOL
I think she would be happy with whatever she choose .

My DD wanted a guinea pig and we ended up with TWO!! I do not recommend guinea pigs at all. IDK how far up in TN you are located, but there were 2 free ferrets on N MS craigslist yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom