Guinea Pigs and Respiratory Issues

Make sure the sides have good airflow. If you have more aquarium type cage, it prevents proper airflow and causes elevated CO2 levels in the cage.

8 sq ft should work, but is a bit on the small side for two guinea pigs.

You can get choroplast reasonably at home depot. Most cage bases are made from choroplast and easy to disinfect. Urine can't soak into it.
I know, 8 sq ft is a minimum, but it’s much larger than what they’re currently in. Hopefully it will do for a bit. They plan on building a large run area for them, approx 12’ x 3’, that the pigs will stay in all the time.

And thank you for mentioning the Coroplast. I think I’ll go get a sheet of that.

I know, 8 sq ft is a minimum, but it’s much larger than what they’re currently in. Hopefully it will do for a bit. They plan on building a large run area for them, approx 12’ x 3’, that the pigs will stay in all the time.

And thank you for mentioning the Coroplast. I think I’ll go get a sheet of that.
It will definitely do for a bit and be far nicer than what they are in. They will definitely love a large run like. They will probably popcorn and run around for joy.

I hope the croupy one starts to feel better.

Make sure the sides have good airflow. If you have more aquarium type cage, it prevents proper airflow and causes elevated CO2 levels in the cage.

8 sq ft should work, but is a bit on the small side for two guinea pigs.

You can get choroplast reasonably at home depot. Most cage bases are made from choroplast and easy to disinfect. Urine can't soak into it.
Dear neighbor friend.. I can see your heart is in the right place! :frow

Elevated ammonia levels are an issue for guinea pigs kept in aquarium type set ups.. Co2 is NOT the issue as far I know since we breath it out in every breath.. and 8 feet is PLENTY for 2 pigs that are well matched. I've never yet disinfected my cage bottoms and don't need to.. simple good regular husbandry IS enough! One must never assume we know another routine.. Lots of guinea pigs have smaller enclosed safe habitats and come out for extra floor time or EVEN make out door trips in open bottom closed top pens where they much away on grass and run to their hearts content. We're talking first world problems here! ;)

The chloroplast base is a great suggestion.. but surely you read the rest of the thread and already saw that aquarium wasn't even a consideration for THIS poster. But, I love knowing that good information (like the aquarium not being a wise choice, which I agree with just not the reasoning as to why) was left behind for OTHERS who might be considering it and come across this thread in the future! :highfive:

The piggies did just fine at the doctor!

The vet agreed that Hank is probably just a loud breather, but that he did have a bit of laboring in his breathing. She said his lungs and heart sounded great, so she ruled it that he probably did have something upper respiratory going on, so she gave him some antibiotics. She didn’t give Elvis any because he seems fine so far, but she did weigh him in case he does start to show any symptoms so that we can just run by and get antibiotics for him if needed.

Yay for the guinea pigs!

An update on Hank the Guinea Pig. He has already or is about to finish up his medicine and sounds much better, but he still makes a noise at times. The vet said he is just a loud breather sometimes. :idunno

Anyway, I wanted to leave a few pictures of Hank and my grandson. Hank has soft, beautiful, medium long hair. Elvis’ hair is short with a cowlick on his head. So does my grandson.:lau
32114236-3761-4516-AE42-75E4E09D2EB9.jpeg

5C9E4730-4F8E-4A5F-A349-349E1D641981.jpeg
AA17E503-D9F6-4B1B-AE56-F54F5773851C.jpeg

FYI - I am terribly allergic to these little pigs and right now am suffering from terrible whelps under my chin that itch ferociously. That’s what I get for snuggle-loving on them. I’m waiting on my DH to bring a decadron shot home. I’ve still got a bottle of dexamethasone for my mare and I’ve been soooo tempted to draw some up and pop myself with it! Is that even legal? Even if I do it to myself? :lau I’d probably wind up killing myself.

Side note: the thing around my sidekick’s finger is not a bandage. There is no cut or broken finger. He is wearing his daddy’s old wedding band and has paper towel wrapped around his finger so the ring “will fit.” He is obsessed with anything that is his daddy’s!

Back
Top Bottom