Guinea pigs (need an opinion)

Hey thanks for your response and yes it all makes sense....my 8 year old had partners and when the other died then I got petuina then her freind died so I got another then that one died so she has been thru 3 pigs and no she is not new to me......however I did not read tour post as being rude but very informative. But I am a little confused how come you wouldnt rescue a guinea pig?
Just curious on reasoning;)

But I am a little confused how come you wouldnt rescue a guinea pig?
Just not an ill one (if I could help it :oops: ).. for the same reason I don't rescue ill chickens, dogs, pigs, cats, etc that I feel "sorry" for.. no need to expose my animals to illness or disease and risk all of they're health.

In the specific instance referenced it would also be to TRY and help avoid anymore premature loss and or changes to the surviving pig who may have already been through a lot.

It's a hard choice, when we wanna "save" them all and I know they need help too. But I have to be responsible to my own resident animals and most versions of quarantine, including any I could attempt in my home and on my size property, are inadequate to be truly effective.

Looking at both sides of the equation (as I always try to do).. even seemingly healthy animals could be carrying something not yet seen or noticed at their current home. Ugh, there are NO guarantees or perfect answers. Over thinking things is a never ending rabbit hole!

But that is my basic reasoning.

I actually love rescue pets generally speaking.. My 2 indoor/outdoor male cats were feral kittens from spca now tame to us, I trapped and spayed 3 generations of (feral) female barn cats and feed them daily (they still hunt rodents). I've had some of the best dogs come from the high kill shelter. I've adopted rabbits from the county shelter. And all my guinea pigs were rehomes (most free, all healthy) from craigslist.

Hope that makes sense.

The 3 amigos, Honcho, Poncho, Sancho (in that order).. when Sancho was still smaller and only about 6 months old. Honcho did not end up being the head honcho either. Thanks for letting me share. :)
Tre Amigos.jpg

Just not an ill one (if I could help it :oops: ).. for the same reason I don't rescue ill chickens, dogs, pigs, cats, etc that I feel "sorry" for.. no need to expose my animals to illness or disease and risk all of they're health.

In the specific instance referenced it would also be to TRY and help avoid anymore premature loss and or changes to the surviving pig who may have already been through a lot.

It's a hard choice, when we wanna "save" them all and I know they need help too. But I have to be responsible to my own resident animals and most versions of quarantine, including any I could attempt in my home and on my size property, are inadequate to be truly effective.

Looking at both sides of the equation (as I always try to do).. even seemingly healthy animals could be carrying something not yet seen or noticed at their current home. Ugh, there are NO guarantees or perfect answers. Over thinking things is a never ending rabbit hole!

But that is my basic reasoning.

I actually love rescue pets generally speaking.. My 2 indoor/outdoor male cats were feral kittens from spca now tame to us, I trapped and spayed 3 generations of (feral) female barn cats and feed them daily (they still hunt rodents). I've had some of the best dogs come from the high kill shelter. I've adopted rabbits from the county shelter. And all my guinea pigs were rehomes (most free, all healthy) from craigslist.

Hope that makes sense.

The 3 amigos, Honcho, Poncho, Sancho (in that order).. when Sancho was still smaller and only about 6 months old. Honcho did not end up being the head honcho either. Thanks for letting me share. :)
View attachment 3116424
Well you one she is getting a partner maybe two today will post pics later

Back
Top Bottom