Guinea questions

Females have smaller wattles and horns and yell 'come back' to call for a mate.
Females may or may not have smaller wattles than males. A female Pearl Gray may have a bigger casque than a male Coral Blue has.

The calls are among the best ways to determine sex. There are certain behaviors that can help differentiate adult guineas.

During laying season, I have only noticed hens having their bustles raised during laying season.

I am a little bit late but in my experience, guineas are aggressive and should not be kept with chickens. I used to have a couple guineas and they would constantly chase and attack the younger chickens and even the older ones too. Then one day I came out to check on my chickens and I heard this awful squealing noise coming from the other side of the coop. When I went to check it out it was not a good sight to see. My bantam hen was laying on the ground unable to move with the guinea viciously pecking and biting her. She was very weak and screaming in pain and all of the other chickens were just standing back watching. I separated her and spent my last few moments with her before she died. Never again did I have guineas.

I am a little bit late but in my experience, guineas are aggressive and should not be kept with chickens. I used to have a couple guineas and they would constantly chase and attack the younger chickens and even the older ones too. Then one day I came out to check on my chickens and I heard this awful squealing noise coming from the other side of the coop. When I went to check it out it was not a good sight to see. My bantam hen was laying on the ground unable to move with the guinea viciously pecking and biting her. She was very weak and screaming in pain and all of the other chickens were just standing back watching. I separated her and spent my last few moments with her before she died. Never again did I have guineas.
Oh that’s just awful - how traumatizing!!!

Back
Top Bottom