guinea questions

I went to a horse ranch and saw a flock of like 40 guineasrunning from the pasture into the surrounding brush. It was like a scene from braveheart, and what a terrible raquet.

For what i've heard, their eggs are really hard shelled. I dunno about size or color since i've never had any myself.

Here are a bunch in someone's bator, sorry, cant remember whose. They are about the size of a medium chicken egg with a pointy end and hard shell.
keets_guineas_yard_003.jpg

Oh no, how am I going to tell them apart from chicken eggs? Maybe I'm getting guineas eggs and don't know it. I have 6 mixed in w/ the chickens. I've been waiting since August for the guineas to lay.

good luck with that shelly
Mine look so similar to the chicken eggs that I still can not tell. I do know that mine were more white than brown so I could tell a few by that.

When do guineas start laying?

I know they'll nest on the floor if you put plywood (or other material) at an angle in a corner. Some will nest in tall grasses.

I have all females and they roost with the chickens, but that's because I trained them to do so. You have to train them to the coop, otherwise, they'll roost in the trees. Mine will hang out on the lower roosts during the day, but sleep in the rafters at night.

My male, who has since joined the wild turkeys in the woods, has bigger waddles and a bigger helmet than the females.

If guineas aren't socialized really well with humans, they'll be very timid. Their bite hurts too - even through leather gloves! So be careful when handling adults.

Back
Top Bottom