guinea questions

My guineas are the size of a large chicken. They are better left to themselves and not tried to tame. Mine free range and never leave the pasture. And they are loud. Very loud!

They can be tamed with some effort, but it could backfire in a way. I had to rehome mine when my alpha male decided that all RIRs were the enemy. I miss them terribly, even after a year. Yes, they are extremely loud! I had three lavenders and a pearl. Here are my sweet goonie-birds:
DCP_4766.jpg

DCP_4733.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I must have had direct relatives of yours.
Ditto what MP said.

i had 21 guineas, 10 in one cage and 11 in another. The cages were side by side, in direct view and they had contact. The two flocks NEVER combined to make a single flock and each were aggressive to the others.
I got both as chicks, they were a week apart in age.
I love to hear them, they are great to watch but their inablity to cohabinate as a flock and their aggressivness really turned me off to owning them again.
They are by no means similar to chickens.

I think Dodger was about five months old in that picture. They weren't much older when they went to live in Asheville. Todd is correct, they are nothing, absolutely nothing like chickens. Anyone who expects them to be will have a rude awakening. They are more like wild things and even my tame ones would probably have killed Hawkeye if I had kept them. They coordinate attacks by bodyslamming their victim from all sides, again, nothing like chickens. They would only attack my RIRs. My small Barred Rock hen, Lexie, could run them off and they'd leave, but Dodger wanted my RIR, Rosemary, dead, period.

maybe when i move out lol i can get 1 because i cant even have a rooster because theyre too loud LOL
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom