Guinea Questions....

I have about a 150 adult guineas...ones I have raised from the egg. I live way out tin the country...no neighbors, so could go for miles, but they sty pretty much on the 5 acres around the house. They all coop up at night in the house with a pen.I have 20 in a house with no open. Those 20 will NEVER coop in the wrong pen always go to their own house. Another 70 or so free range also and the rest stay penned up with a nice big coop with a pen. The 70 that go into roast at nite, I have trained to go into their house by tapping on the wood of the pen with the handle of the net I use to catch them. All winter long they stayed cooped and penned, but I still went out most nites and tapped them into their coop and it has paid off for now I start in the late evening tapping and here they come ; ) I love how they clean up under all the trees ...I never have much clean up, just start mowing. Mine lay pretty close to the house and at the moment 4 hens are sitting on a community nest in their pen....how convenient is that ; ) . The other that just have a house have laid about 30 in their coop and will start sitting soon. When their are sitting , I just let the others out and then shut the coop door.In the evening just open the door and tap them back into their coops. Of course you have to me at home in the evening which I am, if going to me gone , I just do not turn them out that day.....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

I agree that if you start with keets, and let them bond to your property by penning them for a couple months, you should be fine. We have 50 acres, and our guineas always stay really close to our house. Good Luck!

Quote:
gig.gif

That's guineas for ya!

Ha i guess mine are crazy :] they came one day and they have not left, there was three now there is two i killed one, but did not mean to i just slide the barn door open and it got caught between the door and barn and i did not know it
sad.png
but they dont go anywhere! but i hope to get more because i have dogs and they are not getting covered in ticks!! i love it!!

My FIL really want guineas but he wants them to range and to see them in the trees. I'm thinking about making one large area for them because I really don't want to lose one or more to an irritated neighbor (i have 1 that will get nasty and one that may be ok with it as long as they stay away from their house). So until I figure out what to do, I'm going to keep reading the post and learn more about them.

I really appreciate everyone s replies. Maybe I could start out with 2 and see how that goes. 2 has to be easier to round up than the 10 or more he wants.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom