Guinea refusing to come in, -35 C outside :(

ShortHenTallPen

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi there!

I'm at my wits' end on how to get one of my guineas back into our barn. He escaped the barn in the dark three days ago, when my husband was doing last-rounds before bed, and flew into a small pine grove.

Well he won't come down, and it's been between -20 and -35 Celsius here for the last three nights. We've tried leaving the door to the barn open in the day, so that he hears his buddies calling and goes to join them, we've tried calling to him (okay, I'm not very good at guinea calls), I've tried poking him with our extending snow-shovel — it worked... he flew to a higher branch. Sigh.

I thought for sure he was done-for the first night, and am amazed he's survived this long, but I'm really worried — I don't know how much longer he can hold out without food in this weather. Seems like he doesn't want to come down and go across the snow to get into the barn, which is about 50 metres from the trees he's in.

Any suggestions?! TIA :)

I've tried poking him with our extending snow-shovel — it worked... he flew to a higher branch. Sigh

:lau
That is so funny, my God!

Have you tried luring him with food;
Maybe of he smelt his favorite type of food, he'd be interested in returning to the coop;

My chickens Sprint faster than Usain Bolt before they even see their food, they know what's coming for them!

Is it possible to reach him if you used a ladder;

Definitely try the food attempt, I can't see it failing.
I mean, unless if he doesn't love you as much as you love him, the truth will show.

Hi there!

I'm at my wits' end on how to get one of my guineas back into our barn. He escaped the barn in the dark three days ago, when my husband was doing last-rounds before bed, and flew into a small pine grove.

Well he won't come down, and it's been between -20 and -35 Celsius here for the last three nights. We've tried leaving the door to the barn open in the day, so that he hears his buddies calling and goes to join them, we've tried calling to him (okay, I'm not very good at guinea calls), I've tried poking him with our extending snow-shovel — it worked... he flew to a higher branch. Sigh.

I thought for sure he was done-for the first night, and am amazed he's survived this long, but I'm really worried — I don't know how much longer he can hold out without food in this weather. Seems like he doesn't want to come down and go across the snow to get into the barn, which is about 50 metres from the trees he's in.

Any suggestions?! TIA :)
If it is a young of the year guinea and the ground is covered with snow, you have to provide a landing area. You can accomplish this by spreading hay or straw on top of the snow.

:) it *was* one of those moments when you're standing there (snow shovel in hand), thinking "this is definitely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever done!"

I'm not sure what his favourite food is... they usually are free ranging and then come back for layer's mash. They're not big into veg peelings like my chickens, but maybe I'll pick up some buggy snacks like mealworms tomorrow and try that!

Unfortunately, the tree he's in is at least 30 foot, probably a bit more, and I'm 6 months pregnant and signed off work for joint problems

My hubby tried on the ladder, but it's gusting pretty strong right now, and with the blowing snow in these temps, it's just not the best best situation for anyone!

And lastly, I think my guinea definitely loves me less than I love him... maybe I should be by buying mealworms more often!

Thank you so much for the suggestion - I'll definitely try it if he survives tonight!

Thank you so much! This is a great idea — we a nice lot of straw in the barn, which I can easily spread out for a landing area! I'll try that combined with the food and see if that'll reel the poor thing in before he perishes

Thanks again :)

I recently had one stay out 2 consecutive nights in windchills reaching -20. I was amazed that she survived so that bodes well for your guinea. They are tough birds!

I have found that spreading a landing pad of straw helps as well, but trying to get a ladder or reach up with a pole only results in them going higher - just as you mentioned. I created a path with the straw that lead to the coop entrance too and they seemed to find their way with that.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you!

Unfortunately my hubby hasn't seen him all day today Hoping he's just chosen a more sheltered spot to root, and he'll turn up in a couple of days...

I'll let you all know if he turns up again — at the very least I have some good tips for if it ever happens again — our guineas are some of favourites, and definitely a permanent presence — we got them for tick-eating, and will keep them for entertainment ☺️ Crossed fingers!

Rach.

My guineas absolutely love mealworms. I think it is like crack to them. Try putting some on the ground near the tree so he can see them. Maybe he will be curious what it is.

Back
Top Bottom