Guinea setting on eggs - advice wanted

becky_animals

Chirping
Feb 25, 2019
I have a guinea hen setting on about a dozen eggs, now on week 3. I am not able to swipe the keets as they hatch to raise so plan to let momma do it (if any hatch...)
What do I do about a waterer? I have read that for little keets you need marbles or something in the waterer to keep them from drowning, but how do I also have water available for momma? Right now she has a 5 quart open water dish set on a few bricks. If I put an adult size 3 gallon waterer with a round trough around the reservoir, and fill the trough with rocks/marbles, will momma be able to get a decent drink? Will it be too low (on the ground) for her to actually get anything? I can set up a little chick waterer, too, for the keets, but momma needs a larger dish...
Thanks!

I have a guinea hen setting on about a dozen eggs, now on week 3. I am not able to swipe the keets as they hatch to raise so plan to let momma do it (if any hatch...)
What do I do about a waterer? I have read that for little keets you need marbles or something in the waterer to keep them from drowning, but how do I also have water available for momma? Right now she has a 5 quart open water dish set on a few bricks. If I put an adult size 3 gallon waterer with a round trough around the reservoir, and fill the trough with rocks/marbles, will momma be able to get a decent drink? Will it be too low (on the ground) for her to actually get anything? I can set up a little chick waterer, too, for the keets, but momma needs a larger dish...
Thanks!
Your hen will be able to drink from the same waterer as is appropriate for the keets.

Back
Top Bottom