Guinea sex?

Cluck2013

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
I have been listening to videos of both male and females. I am still having a hard time telling mine apart. There are 4 that are 13 weeks old. I thought I might of heard one female noise, but not for sure. Most of their noises are nasal/maybe raspy. Most of the time, I hear their alarm calls. They give that nasal noise when they want something. What age can you distinctly hear their male/female noise?

One of my 6 week old little guineas was buckwheating just a few minutes ago when I was feeding them. If you haven't heard the definite sound by 13 weeks then you likely have males. ;)

One of my 6 week old little guineas was buckwheating just a few minutes ago when I was feeding them. If you haven't heard the definite sound by 13 weeks then you likely have males. ;)

So I probably have 3 males and 1 female. I definitely heard a buckwheat noise before, just don't know which one. First time with guineas, can they all live peacefully together? Do I need to get rid of some males? They have been raised with my younger group of chickens.

So I probably have 3 males and 1 female. I definitely heard a buckwheat noise before, just don't know which one. First time with guineas, can they all live peacefully together? Do I need to get rid of some males? They have been raised with my younger group of chickens.
While it would be best to have equal numbers of males and females, one of the males will take dominance and become the mate of the female. From time to time the boys will have their squabble (especially during breeding season) only the dominant male will be her breeding partner while the other males will hep watch over her.

Raising guinea keets with chickens can lead to problems when their hormones kick in and they don't understand that chickens aren't funny looking guineas. It can lead to a great amount of stress on the chickens.

Sounds like you have 3 males and 1 female. It’s hard to tell when they are young though and if they are nervous a lot, they will only make their “chi chi chi” sound instead of their happy whistling and the females “come back” call.

And regards to the males possibly picking on each other, know that with guineas, the more, the merrier! It’s good to have 10+. They will be much more relaxed and it will reduce your risk of some getting picked on. But I am a guinea fowl collector so you may not want to listen to me :lau I have 14 and just ordered 30 hatching eggs to put in the incubator!! :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom