Guinea Sounds

CCG... when ya catch a bird and separate it, make sure it's out of sight but within earshot of the other birds. If you stand there watching the bird, waiting for it to give up it's gender... it usually won't Buck-wheat. So grab a chair and be sure to sit out of sight of the bird. Ever hear of beer sexing? You can integrate that method with the separation method if you wish. (You can look that up over in the Quail forum section if you don't know what beer sexing is, lol). I wouldn't try beer sexing humans if I were you tho... lol.

Used to have several kegs at the barn all weekend long, and one bucket for everyone's keys. As the nights continued, I was among those very few reasonably sober guys left, whereas most women don't drink all that much beer ... effectively changing the female/male ratio from 2/5 to 8/1 proves that beer sexing humans works shamefully well ~'-)

A couple of Youtube videos to go w/ your thread:

guinea hen laying eggs ...

guinea male calling ...

(links open in a new window ~'-)

Oh my, thank you! I read anything thats posted on guineas i see... I have just a handful, 2 hens, 2 cocks. not planned but that's how its wound up. I think my pearl laid a few eggs, but all the girls, chickens, geese and ducks have stopped for the year. All my guineas were give ups. My DH likes them, and i must admit the hawks no longer circle over our flock. My pearl is friendly, my whites are pretty much wild but do return to roost in the coop at night. If my hens go broody, i plan to raise the babies in hopes they will be more social.

IMO... there really is no "male call" pertaining to Guineas... because both sexes can/will make all the same sounds, calls, trills, alarm call etc except for the Buck-wheating. Buck-wheating, the 2 syllable call is the only sound the Hens will make that the males won't. So really there is a female specific call, but not a male specific call.

JLeigh... several of my young Hens over the years have been a little off-key when they first find their voices and start the manic non-stop Buck-wheating... (or they start going hoarse from Buck-wheating SO much, lol). Some squeak, some honk, some get the wheat part out before the buck part, lol, and some only get out one syllable... etc. By the time they mature they all sound basically the same tho, and most of the time my Hens all Buck-wheat in unison, driving me bonkers (60+ Hens)
barnie.gif

Our Royal Purples are at the "finding their voice" stage and are quite entertaining. One of the girls just about has it figured out and loves to get in the others faces and show off her big girl voice.
Then again our older girls are not much help. They're not very good at "buck-wheat" but sure have gotten "b*tt-crack" down.

Our Royal Purples are at the "finding their voice" stage and are quite entertaining. One of the girls just about has it figured out and loves to get in the others faces and show off her big girl voice.
Then again our older girls are not much help. They're not very good at "buck-wheat" but sure have gotten "b*tt-crack" down.
LOL, my Mom swears all my Hens are saying b*tt-crack.

LOL, my Mom swears all my Hens are saying b*tt-crack.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
X2!!

Last edited:
This is how PeepsCA keeps her guineas quiet.............

LL
LMAO... well some of them. Most of my birds that I process have all had faults (such as bad wattles) or they had bad attitudes/aggression issues, and that's mostly just the males.. there's plenty of Hens out there Buck-wheatin' their tail feathers off.

My (live) birds are never quiet, n e v e r
he.gif
It's ok tho, it is what it is.
There's no denial here, and I've done all the required homework!

Oh my, thank you! I read anything thats posted on guineas i see... I have just a handful, 2 hens, 2 cocks. not planned but that's how its wound up. I think my pearl laid a few eggs, but all the girls, chickens, geese and ducks have stopped for the year. All my guineas were give ups. My DH likes them, and i must admit the hawks no longer circle over our flock. My pearl is friendly, my whites are pretty much wild but do return to roost in the coop at night. If my hens go broody, i plan to raise the babies in hopes they will be more social.

You're quite welcome ... I'm on my first flock of guineas, and have learned a *lot* from the good folks on this forum (really appreciate all the willingness to share what they know w/ others, too ~'-)

Raising my own, and w/ my chickens, has helped 'em become more friendly for now, but they're not adults yet ... hopefully, I can come up w/ a way to continue handling them enough to make 'em easier to manage.

Back
Top Bottom