Guinea voice? Hoarse? Respiratory Issue?

Thank you for all your help. She seems to be be back to normal at this point. Idk what was going on the other day. I caught her and gave her a good look over last night (my guineas aren’t tame except for cooping, I can’t pet/hold them like the chickens) - she isn’t making a weird noise, she’s walking, eating drinking, everything like normal.
Sorry, I didn't read all the posts just wnated to reply real quick - yes, I had a hoarse guinea and she was really sick - Pinchy - we threw all we could at her - gapeworm wormer was one thing, using the goat wormer (I forgot what it is called now but can look it up if you need me to - just did: Fenbendazole is the chemical, I used SafeGuard for Goats at a rate the vet prescribed, I think it was 50 mg/kg of body weight - I weighed my birds in a small dog kennel hung from a spring scale and subtracted the weight of the empty kennel to get their weight - my birds weighed 1.09 to 2.395 kg so that translated into 0.6 to 1.2 ml of the SafeGuard product, I think - sounds like too much dose for the birds now - you have to do your own research/vet consult - just sharing this for reference and I don't know if I am reading my notes correctly - it was a long time ago - good reference also is the Exotic Animal Formulary by Carpenter - it contains dose info for many chemicals and species - you have to figure in the concentration of the stuff you use, I think I used SafeGuard with a 10% suspension of fenbendazole and 100 mg/ml in the bottle)

You may be able to see gape worm if you can open the beak and look down their throat - look online - I search with Ecosia (search engine www.ecosia.com because they plant trees and don't track you) - I think the throat is red if it is gape worm and you may be able to see the worms?

Pinchy also got antibiotics - we did an x-ray and it showed her lungs being affected - she recovered once but died earlier than my other guys - at age 5 around, I wanna say - her voice recovered with other improvements but your situation may be different

Hope it is like R2elk's case where it does not affect your birds at all!

Best of Luck!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Merck-Goat-D...rds=safeguard+for+goats&qid=1621137956&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Animal-Formulary-James-Carpenter/dp/0323444504/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3NYKOYDGQHDKS&dchild=1&keywords=exotic+animal+formulary&qid=1621138446&sprefix=exotic+animal+f,aps,268&sr=8-1

Thank you for all your help. She seems to be be back to normal at this point. Idk what was going on the other day. I caught her and gave her a good look over last night (my guineas aren’t tame except for cooping, I can’t pet/hold them like the chickens) - she isn’t making a weird noise, she’s walking, eating drinking, everything like normal.
Great news! One of my chicken hens prolapsed yesterday and I’ve been trying to help her… It’s grueling, and she’s been in so much pain passing those two stuck eggs! Now I have her in the dark hoping to stop egg production. One of my guinea hens last year developed some kind of reproductive issue, got sick fast, then passed. I have to say that the whole egg laying thing seems pretty awful to me!

Great news! One of my chicken hens prolapsed yesterday and I’ve been trying to help her… It’s grueling, and she’s been in so much pain passing those two stuck eggs! Now I have her in the dark hoping to stop egg production. One of my guinea hens last year developed some kind of reproductive issue, got sick fast, then passed. I have to say that the whole egg laying thing seems pretty awful to me!
Have you watched that video on how eggs come about? It made it look like an automotive processing line. 😳

Have you watched that video on how eggs come about? It made it look like an automotive processing line. 😳
Doesn’t sound familiar? I had to sew the hen’s vent nearly closed as she would immediately re-prolapse. She’s usually so sweet and now she’s afraid of me and tries to get away. :hit I really hope this does it and that she doesn’t have another egg in there making her strain…

Back
Top Bottom