Guinea was sitting on 14 eggs, tonight she isn't, will they be viable

mylittlehof

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Central Texas
I found my Guinea's nest and then thought I would protect her and put up some wire overhead, but left a way into the eggs. she didn't go back to them tonight and is roosting with the males - will the eggs "die" overnight and not be viable now?

Yesterday was the first time I had seen her setting on them - she had been up and around a bunch in the previous days - I am not sure if she roosted with the boys or not - I had not been checking until last night. I am so new to this nesting process - is there a time the eggs are not always set on and are ok? Is there a link that explains it all? Thanks so much - I love this forum!
love.gif

Is it possible she was just laying an egg and not broody yet? Typically, once the hens find the place they want to nest will lay up to about 30 eggs before they go broody. A guinea hen won't waste her time with only 14 eggs.

She will not start sitting till she thinks(her body tells her) there enough to sit on. You may have just seen her on the nest to Lay her egg. When the clutch is big enough she may or may not go broody and start sitting. I only let mine gather for a couple of days, and none of the hens thought 25=30 eggs were enough to sit on, so I took them and put them in bator, mine never went broody, since you only have one laying, you will have to wait a month + to find out if she is gonna even decide to sit.

edited because of poor spelling

Last edited:
You could take some of the eggs to incubate and leave the rest if she is still wanting to lay more. Or put some fake eggs where she is laying her nest. I am new at this so this is just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom