Guinea wattles

In OZ they do yes ALL males have large cupped and ALL females have smaller flat wattles, 100% when sexed correctly by a pro breeder.

Why would a 'pro breeder' have to do the sexing to be 100%, seems like anyone could sex them 100% if what you say about the wattles held true...

I can say without doubt it certainly doesn't hold true with my Guineas, and I find it hard to believe the gene pool is so tight and perfect in any country that it holds true...

I have a batch of guineas eight now that would make the experts shake their heads. My main male has cupped wattles, but so does my big female. One of our males has small ones... We have a female with large flats. I know what they are only by their sound and leg band numbers.

We don't get that in Oz so maybe its the different genes in the US and you get the different wattles.

All the best

My regular guineas have both cupped and flat in both sexes, some of them have one of each, but I have been breeding my own guineas for a while and Only add in new blood from another breeder who has similar wattle display. I dont think the cupped and flat is a genetic thing though, could be wrong. I have noticed that a majority of my french guineas are easier to sex due to their wattles. Males are cupped and females are flat but there is always the exception. Thats why I dont go by wattles. The best way to tell the gender is through the call or dna sexing.

Back
Top Bottom