Guinea Wing

lindakobs

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 15, 2016
My guinea hen was in an unfortunate accident and I am afraid her left wing was torn off. Does anyone know if a wing can grow back? I'm not sure if it is the whole wing or part of it? Also, is their danger letting her be with the others in the flock, or will they peck and ostracize her as she is recuperating from this accident. She has some raw bloody spots where feathers are missing She is walking, drinking, but not flying up to her roost. I have her in the coop alone right now, but I have no experience with an injured bird and don't quite know what to do to keep her safe. Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated. I am feeling really bad and just want to help her get over this. THank you.

My guinea hen was in an unfortunate accident and I am afraid her left wing was torn off. Does anyone know if a wing can grow back? I'm not sure if it is the whole wing or part of it? Also, is their danger letting her be with the others in the flock, or will they peck and ostracize her as she is recuperating from this accident. She has some raw bloody spots where feathers are missing She is walking, drinking, but not flying up to her roost. I have her in the coop alone right now, but I have no experience with an injured bird and don't quite know what to do to keep her safe. Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated. I am feeling really bad and just want to help her get over this. THank you.
Aw, I'm sorry! Can you post some pics? Keep her separated, they will attack her. Wings don't grow back. What exactly happened? If it has to do with predators I would worry about infections.

Aw, I'm sorry! Can you post some pics? Keep her separated, they will attack her. Wings don't grow back. What exactly happened? If it has to do with predators I would worry about infections.

do you mean the other guineas will harass her? Can you tell from photo if wing is gone? Or perhaps just feathers? I feel like she would geton roost if she was able. She is walking fine and drinking. It wasn’t a predator. She got teal led and beat herself up trungvgo get free. Any advice is hugely appreciated. I don’t know how to help her
E1CB1A71-FB5B-4627-885F-5591E4635230.jpeg

If the wing is there, it may heal over time although it may never be functional again. If the wing is gone, it will not grow back. Either way the guinea once healed can live a reasonably satisfactory life while being flightless.

If the wing is there, it may heal over time although it may never be functional again. If the wing is gone, it will not grow back. Either way the guinea once healed can live a reasonably satisfactory life while being flightless.
Thank you. I really think the wing is there, but maybe all the bottom feathers gone. She is acting okay, but not sure she can fly. I am keeping her separated, but don't know how long I should. Do you know if the blood smell would be done in about 3 days so she could be let out with the others?
Thank you for your answers. I have determined the wing is there I think, and the bottom feathers are gone. She is off balance and cannot fly. I kept her in rehab by herself for three days, she seemed to eat and drink and get over her shock. Today I let her out and she is getting along with the rest of the flock and acting quite normal. I am very grateful that she seems to be doing okay. I am hopeful these wing end feathers will come back in time?

Thank you. I really think the wing is there, but maybe all the bottom feathers gone. She is acting okay, but not sure she can fly. I am keeping her separated, but don't know how long I should. Do you know if the blood smell would be done in about 3 days so she could be let out with the others?

Thank you for your answers. I have determined the wing is there I think, and the bottom feathers are gone. She is off balance and cannot fly. I kept her in rehab by herself for three days, she seemed to eat and drink and get over her shock. Today I let her out and she is getting along with the rest of the flock and acting quite normal. I am very grateful that she seems to be doing okay. I am hopeful these wing end feathers will come back in time?
If the feathers got pulled or broken, they will grow back when it molts.

If the feathers got pulled or broken, they will grow back when it molts.
Thank you. I still have so much to learn about taking care of my guineas. I want to do it right, but no one where i live has them so I don't really have anyone to consult with. I appreciate your imput.

Back
Top Bottom