Guinea with bubbles in eye

Jgarza77

Songster
Apr 20, 2021
This morning I woke up to my 1 guinea shaking her head, breathing with mouth open, and bubbles in the corner of one eye. I'm praying that this is only a result of the massive amount if smoke from the fireworks last night and not something much worse like mycoplasma. I have a flock of 4 bantam hens plus the one guinea. I have her in a small cardboard box inside, but don't really have a great setup for indoor quarantine. I have a broad spectrum antibiotic pictured here. Should I start her on it? The whole flock? So worried right now

Attachments

• 16725882587317684478072734349936.jpg
    16725882587317684478072734349936.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 14
Bubbles in an eye can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum, but only testing can confirm it. Tylosin (Tylan) is an antibiotic that can treat symptoms, but does not cure it since it is a chronic disease that makes carriers of survivors. Amoxicillin does not treat MG because it does not have a cell wall. I am not a fan of combination antibiotics, because of emerging antibiotic resistant bacteria, but to answer your question, it may help symptoms. Tykosin powder is available from Jedds and other online stores. Only treat a bird that has symptoms. Your chicken does not need to be separated, since they have already been exposed.

@Jgarza77, how is your Guinea?
She is just fine, I really think it was all the smoke from the fireworks the night prior. This post was from New Years Day, and by the following day the bubbles had cleared. In our area people go way too crazy with these fireworks and I hate seeing what it does to all the animals 😔

Last edited:
She is just fine, I really think it was all the smoke from the fireworks the night prior. This post was from New Years Day, and by the following day the bubbles had cleared. In our area people go way too crazy with these fireworks and I hate seeing what it does to all the animals 😔
I'm glad that it was nothing serious and she is well! Sorry about the crazy fireworks in your area. :D

Back
Top Bottom