Guinea with closed eye

Liv's chickens

Songster
Nov 6, 2017
Southern Vermont
Hello everyone! I noticed the other day that one of my guinea hens had one of her eyes closed. It seems swollen and she doesn’t like to open it. It’s been a few days. When she does open it, her eye has a blueish, and slightly foggy tint to it, which doesn’t look like a good sign. Could she possibly be going blind? My guess is maybe she scratched it or something but I really have no clue. I also don’t see any blood or physical injuries around the eye so maybe something is inside the eye and irritating it...

She is the lowest in the pecking order and has slightly splayed legs - she was born with some physical problems and needed assistance hatching, so she’s kind of clumsy sometimes, and so it’s quite possible that either she, or another bird injured her.
But she has seemed to live quite happily and is good friends with the pet turkey 😆

I have her indoors now and I’m going to try to carefully get a better look at her eye and see what’s going on but it’s difficult to get her to open it and hold still.
Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to treat eye injuries?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I don’t have any great ideas but you could post in the diseases forum... I just had a pullet that tore her lower eyelid; I got antibiotic eye ointment into and around her eye, after rinsing the blood and gunk out with saline solution made for contact wearers. Maybe it would be worth trying antibiotic eye ointment, if you have some?

She could have poked it somehow. The Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment is something to keep on hand for sure. I have had chickens with eye injuries on occasion and it seems that it's a miracle it doesn't happen more often, the way they forage. I'd say rinse with mild saline and wipe it gently, then squeeze that ointment into it a couple of times each day. Vetericyn also makes
Vetericyn Plus® Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel that works nicely for this stuff and is non-antibiotic. Always make sure whatever you use says safe for all animals or safe for avians because birds are just different. I have this and have used it for my chickens.

Vetericyn Eye Gel

Last edited:
Sounds like my guinea hen named Grounder. I had her eye removed, her is a pic all sewn up. What was the outcome with your guinea?
0123221232b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom