Guinea with Gapeworm

Can you please give us more info on Gapeworm ... how could the bird have gotten it... and most definitely what you find out about getting rid of it! thanks

Gapeworm infestation can occur either directly by birds eating eggs that have been swallowed or coughed up by infested birds, or indirectly by intermediate hosts such as earthworms or snails. Young birds up to 8 weeks of age are particularly susceptible to tapeworm. Tapeworms normally live in the trachea (windpipe) but are also found in the bronchi and lungs. Typically, eggs are picked up from the ground or from intermediate hosts such as earthworms or snails. The eggs hatch and the larvae penetrate the intestine walls and move to the lungs and bronchi. It is here they go through a larval moult, before travelling up to the trachea. Male and female tapeworms attach to one another once they arrive here. This process takes around 7 days. Fully grown, they are ‘Y’ shaped and vary in size between 1 and 2cm long. They are blood-red in colour (as can be seen in the second photo which shows them in a post-mortem).

And i would worm all of them at the same time just in case any others havent picked it up and just arnt showing any signs

Gapeworm infestation can occur either directly by birds eating eggs that have been swallowed or coughed up by infested birds, or indirectly by intermediate hosts such as earthworms or snails. Young birds up to 8 weeks of age are particularly susceptible to tapeworm. Tapeworms normally live in the trachea (windpipe) but are also found in the bronchi and lungs. Typically, eggs are picked up from the ground or from intermediate hosts such as earthworms or snails. The eggs hatch and the larvae penetrate the intestine walls and move to the lungs and bronchi. It is here they go through a larval moult, before travelling up to the trachea. Male and female tapeworms attach to one another once they arrive here. This process takes around 7 days. Fully grown, they are ‘Y’ shaped and vary in size between 1 and 2cm long. They are blood-red in colour (as can be seen in the second photo which shows them in a post-mortem).

And i would worm all of them at the same time just in case any others havent picked it up and just arnt showing any signs

Okay thanks. I am going to get Avatril wormer tablets although it is supposed to be for small birds, a friend recommended it. I will start with one tablet, I know how to give it to him since I have given them antibiotics before. Just a question about worming the others, can I worm laying hens?

Okay thanks. I am going to get Avatril wormer tablets although it is supposed to be for small birds, a friend recommended it. I will start with one tablet, I know how to give it to him since I have given them antibiotics before. Just a question about worming the others, can I worm laying hens?

I havent really found anything on using that on laying hens
hens

O u did spell that worm name correctly right cause they only wormer i could find close to that is avitrol

Yeah that's probably right. The tablets were so tiny I put it in a grape (that was a couple of days ago) and he seems fine. Sorry for late reply. I'm not even sure if it was Gapeworm, but he's all better now and the others are all fine.

Does anyone know why my other Guinea may have blocked sinuses? If this was not Gapeworm I think it may have something to do with her. Gapeworm Guinea is Zippity(male), blocked Guinea is rainbow (female) and has been blocked for about 6 months, she is otherwise fine. I posted in another thread but no one replied.

Back
Top Bottom