Guinea x Ring-neck pheasant Hybrid

FarmAir

Songster
5 Years
Jul 12, 2016
So, I used to have a bunch of ringneck pheasant and my husband accidentally left the door open and everything but one of my albino hens took off. I didn't want to get rid of her and she was lonely so I figured pheasants and guineas are both aggressive types of birds so I put her in the pin with the guineas.
Laying season just recently started, and her being a hen of course she started laying. At first I was just throwing away the eggs and then I thought to myself, maybe I can put these incubator see what happens. From the first batch of five I put in, 2 of them have babies growing. So, my question is does anybody have this specific mix of offspring? Are they sterile? I know with different mixes between the different mixes if birds some are sterile some that hatch are mostly just males, but there are certain mixes within the gene pool that actually have fertile offspring.

So, I used to have a bunch of ringneck pheasant and my husband accidentally left the door open and everything but one of my albino hens took off. I didn't want to get rid of her and she was lonely so I figured pheasants and guineas are both aggressive types of birds so I put her in the pin with the guineas.
Laying season just recently started, and her being a hen of course she started laying. At first I was just throwing away the eggs and then I thought to myself, maybe I can put these incubator see what happens. From the first batch of five I put in, 2 of them have babies growing. So, my question is does anybody have this specific mix of offspring? Are they sterile? I know with different mixes between the different mixes if birds some are sterile some that hatch are mostly just males, but there are certain mixes within the gene pool that actually have fertile offspring.
Interesting! I have no idea - I hope you’ll update us!

Interesting! I have no idea - I hope you’ll update us!
One of the two hatched!! I had to assist, it pipped 2 days ago and dried membrane was keeping it from fully emerging. Its the cutest thing! Half white, half brown. I put it back in to dry off and headed out to work. As soon as i get home I'll get a picture and upload it! :celebrate

Tell me this isn't the cutest little thing!

Attachments

• 20210511_163353.jpg
    20210511_163353.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210511_163348.jpg
    20210511_163348.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210511_163209.jpg
    20210511_163209.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210511_163202.jpg
    20210511_163202.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210511_163156.jpg
    20210511_163156.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 43
I know of "Miracle," the Guin hen, that was the result of a guinea breeding a chicken hen.
Unfortunately the two didn't mix well. Miracle was large like a guinea but, didn't have the heart & lungs for a bird that sized. We all thought Miracle was a male until she laid an egg. Sadly she died soon after that.

I know of "Miracle," the Guin hen, that was the result of a guinea breeding a chicken hen.
Unfortunately the two didn't mix well. Miracle was large like a guinea but, didn't have the heart & lungs for a bird that sized. We all thought Miracle was a male until she laid an egg. Sadly she died soon after that.
Oh I wish there were pictures! This is blowing my mind

Back
Top Bottom