Guineas and bugs

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by fowl farm, May 29, 2012.

1. fowl farm

fowl farm Songster

May 9, 2012
    Do you have to feed guineas ticks when they are babies to get them to eat them as adults? Because we've only given our guineas flies so far ( you know, in the house, easy food). And would they eat wasps? Just thought of that, crossing my fingers.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    No you don't. they are natural bug eaters and will find bugs on thier own no matter what. I have seen mine eat bees if they can catch them I don't know if it was wasps

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    My Guineas eat anything that moves or flies... they aren't picky! And I never fed them anything but starter and grower feeds prior to free ranging them. Guineas are similar about bugs as most cats are about mice and birds... gotta catch and eat it!

Here's a pic of one of my free rangers double checking for a bug he swore he just saw and was about to pick off of a flowering weed:
    [​IMG]

I've noticed they have mastered their skill of catching grass hoppers too, lol... it's funny to watch them chase them down no matter how many times the grasshoppers jump/fly away or how far, lol.

4. fowl farm

fowl farm Songster

May 9, 2012
    Love the picture! He's checking that flower so carefully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: