Guineas and chickens in same pen and coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MA Mama, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    Hello! I just hatched 2 guinea with my chicken chicks, and as chicks they appear to get along without issue. If I continue to raise them together (they will access a big outdoor pen with fee range a few days a week, same coop), will they be OK together? Also, I am really hoping that my chicken hens will hatch some of their own babies, so would the guineas threaten the safety of the chicks? I have no experience with guinea whatsoever, so feel free to state what may be obvious to you all, but not to me! THANKS in advance for your insight!

2. Bantam girls

Bantam girls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    I have my guinea hens in the same coop and run as my chickens. Once in a while one of my guineas will pick on the others but generally they get along great. The guineas do not enjoy being in the hen house at all and actually perch outside in the run pretty much year round unless it is bitter cold or raining and cold out. The guinea hens have actually alerted me to fox and racoons in the middle of the night and were in my opinion responsible for saving all the lives of the chickens so they can put up with a little bullying once in a while. The guineas also alert when a hawk is near. I have to say that since I have had guineas and chickens together for the last 6 years, I have not lost a single bird at all! They free range all day and even then they stick together!

3. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    Oh that is GREAT to hear! Let me ask you this... you say that they perch outside unless it is bitter cold. Does that mean that you leave them shut out of the coop (because they chose) or is the coop always open? I close my chicken coop door at night, so I am wondering if it would be OK to leave them shut out, if they choose to be outside. My fence is not that great (hence why I have to shut them in ) so would they be vunerable to predators, or are they OK at night, unlike chickens?

Ok a few more questions...
    How many chickens to how many guinea? I would have about 14 chickens to 2 guinea.

Also, I thought guinea were known for roaming far, do the chickens end up going farther or do the guineas stay closer?

Thanks for this!

4. LIBERTYNY

LIBERTYNY Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    NY
    I have bolth guineas and chickens , I had the guineas first built a coop for them but they never went in it at all. They roost high in the trees summer and winter (NY)
    One thing I notice about guineas is some are smarter than others. What I mean is most seem to be eatin by preadors within the first year but the ones that survive will usually live a long life

My chickens stay within about 3 acres

My guineas I have seen almost a half mile away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by