Guinea's and Turkeys

Red Dog Ranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
Do turkeys and guinea's get along together? I keep my turkeys in a covered run due to many hawks and a couple eagles. Will they do alright together in a run and coop if I do buy a few guinea's? and if so what is the least amount of guinea I should get at first, I do have the room. I'm in western washington, will they do o.k. outside or should I make sure they come into the coop at night?

Do turkeys and guinea's get along together? I keep my turkeys in a covered run due to many hawks and a couple eagles. Will they do alright together in a run and coop if I do buy a few guinea's? and if so what is the least amount of guinea I should get at first, I do have the room. I'm in western washington, will they do o.k. outside or should I make sure they come into the coop at night?

I think they do fine together but others may have more info. Id definately train them to the coop for bed time. WRT space Guineas are pretty active they do alot of running about and hopping up and down off of stuff in the run. Id put some tall as you can perches even in the run. WRT quantity They do better in groups or small flocks like six or more.

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

deb

My three turkeys hate my guineas--and the rooster crowing--because of the noise--but their poult pen was about twenty to thirty yards away from the run where my Australorps and guineas live and now they're next-door neighbors. If they are allowed to get to know the noise at a slower pace you probably won't have trouble, but my turkeys would love to sit on all my guineas til the very last little "buckwheat" lol.

CYG

My three turkeys hate my guineas--and the rooster crowing--because of the noise--but their poult pen was about twenty to thirty yards away from the run where my Australorps and guineas live and now they're next-door neighbors. If they are allowed to get to know the noise at a slower pace you probably won't have trouble, but my turkeys would love to sit on all my guineas til the very last little "buckwheat" lol.

CYG

LOL!!!
yuckyuck.gif

I just have one Wild Turkey Hen that I hatched and raised with one of my Guinea flocks. She mothers them and bosses them around, breaks up squabbles etc. She doesn't really know she is a Turkey tho, so I can't really contribute much input on if they get along. I am sure that solely depends on if they are raised together from hatch or a young age or not. The nest the Turkey egg came from was a shared nest (Guinea Hen and Wild Turkey Hen) and the nest had to be broken up because the Guinea Hen went broody on the egg pile... so I incubated and hatched the Turkey egg with the Guinea eggs (3 Turkey eggs actually, but I have lost 2 of the Turkeys to predators :( ).

Last edited:
Before I sent my turkeys to the processor...any time that the guineas got into the turkey pen the tom saw red and tried to kill them. He hated the guineas (and the chickens). Then hen turkey didn't mind them.

mine free-range together without trouble - there is a pecking order but differences seem to get settled without real squables. raising them together helps (I've got a young tom and a pair of guineas who were raised together... the guineas think the Tom is Mom) but is not required as my other tom was an adult before introducing the guineas to the flock.

all my roosting birds (turkeys, guineas, chickens) share a rooting area with no more than occasional get-out-of-my-way pecks.

so.... entirely possible. and your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom