Guineas as watch dogs

My guineas are great for letting me know when something is around that doesn't belong, whether it is human or animal. They have alerted me to when a snake was in the fenced in part around the house. That was interesting because they were quiet but lined up in a row along side the snake, once I got something to remove him from the yard they went about their merry way. I have even had them chase a fox out across the pasture now that was funny eight guineas hauling right after a little fox. They don't appreciate the deer that come up in the pasture either a few have tried to chase them off while the rest were on the fence yelling or cheering them on. I have fallen in love with these crazy birds.

Patsy:

Yesterday, my Guineas went to my neighbors house (some distance away). I watched as they approached the front of the neighbor's house as a flock being as loud and crescendoing as they inched closer & closer until it was real loud. I was hiding in my back barn watching & wondering what if anything I should do. The neighbor came out her front door & clapped her hands one time. The Guineas took to the air and soared back home. Like you, I was embarrassed but also laughing at them.

Chris

Quote:
I am sorry, but that first paragraph has me in tears laughing right now...I read it twice and I laughed twice as hard. you painted a picture that was hilarious. Not funny at the time I'll bet, but I can just imagine it..

I have eight guineas and right now they are peaceful and living with my game chickens. They didn't make any noises when strange people walked up in my yard, but they have been great at letting everyone in the neighborhood know when a hawk or other predator is around. They just recently saved my flock by letting me know about a hawk that was watching my free ranging chickens. I didn't like them to start with, but now I don't know what I would do without them.

My hatchery always lists guineas as "great watchdogs," and I think that's mostly true, but geez, my 6 guineas yell about EVERYTHING! I think they take great joy in being upset several times a day! Five of them travel in a group, leaving out my one poor lavender. Guineas are tons of fun. It seems to me that when they come upon something that's strange to them, they crowd together, maybe making them look more menacing, like one big thing instead of several smaller things??
I had a rope on the driveway and the guineas had to inspect it, necks stretched out, til they slowly moved on. I thought about buying a plastic snake to see how they would react. If I have a towel or empty feed sack, just one wave will send them flying. They started yelling when I came out in a long sleeved sweater til they got accustomed to it.
I loved the story here about the guineas going to the neighbor's door, then flying back home when she clapped her hand. Yep, guineas are fun. Mine start that "we're upset" buzz, and they generally won't calm down til they go all-out into the screaming "Mayday! Mayday!" call that is so very loud! Then they fly a short distance or run away, and they're fine. I can't see anything that they should be threatened by, so I think they just like to be upset sometimes.
I didn't realize guineas were so loud, or that they yelled so much, when I got some with my chicks. I remember that, as a young(er) girl, our guinea would set up a fuss if something was bothering it. But my guineas are loud a large part of the day. Heaven help us if they get separated. It becomes an emergency to get back to the others! And guineas can run very, very fast!
I think my guineas are great to be with my chickens. I look to them kind of like a smoke alarm, to "go off" if something is happening. But they "go off" all the time! Guineas are interesting to watch & I think they are smarter than chickens. I just hope neighbors don't finally get fed up with their noise. I don't want any more than the 6 I have now because of the noise level, but I don't want to lose any of them, either.

Back
Top Bottom