Guineas dying from fatty liver disease

I also give them flock party garden grains as treats. They come running for the stuff🙁
I'm not saying that's your problem, but I have heard that if feed an excessive amount of a scratch grain that it can cause problem such as what you have. I'm really no expert but consider their small size and how much of that they might be eating.

The guineas are 16 months. There were 6, now I have three. They are housed with six chickens which all seem to be healthy. They all grew up together from about a week old. Started with hi protein favoring the guineas then switched to layer feed when hens started laying

Well, there's not much to fix at the moment, but read through that info I posted & the site much explains what needs to be done to avoid a repeat. Calcium grit always available for the hens, & balance feed w/exercise. I've noticed lately that after free ranging all day, my hen & her youngins are barely touching their feed at night. I make sure some is available, but not much.
The gurus will say if I'm wrong, but I don't think goons are supposed to get scratch grains. I do train with white millet, but @R2elk advices no more than 10% of total intake. - I have no idea what their total intake is, they eat until their crops are full & their bellies are dragging. Lol. So, I use it for training and treat is mainly vegetable matter or herbs.
I'm sorry you lost your girls. We've all been there one way or another & more than once.Are you going to get some more hens?

Back
Top Bottom