Guineas dying, help!!

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! But it makes sense. Thank you for the suggestion, I will pick up a bag tomorrow.
Another suggestion... Have you tried looking for mites or lice? I have heard that they can carry disease and can potentially kill your birds. There is this stuff ( forgot what it is called; Sorry!) That you can put in their water or down their throats. It kills any mites or lice on the bird, from what I have heard on it. I really hope that you can figure it out! My two original female guineas get bullied a lot in the winter by my 4 males in their flock... Whenever they are sad or are getting bullied, they puff up, pressing ther head into their necks causing them to look puffy and small. Is that was is happening to yours? I would say that it (for your birds, not mine) could be the avian Influenza, but that kills birds very quickly, and is very contagious, and so I am thinking that it is not that, thank goodness.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! But it makes sense. Thank you for the suggestion, I will pick up a bag tomorrow.
All flock didn't work for me, the female guineas weren't smart enough to eat the oyster shell and egg shell I tried giving them. I do half all flock half layer. I lost a female because I didn't figure it out in time.

All flock didn't work for me, the female guineas weren't smart enough to eat the oyster shell and egg shell I tried giving them. I do half all flock half layer. I lost a female because I didn't figure it out in time.
I have one guinea hen that will not eat the oyster shell from the feeder. When I find a soft shell egg from her, I scrape out some oyster shell from the feeder onto the ground. She does eat it from the ground and goes back to laying normal eggs.

I just put egg shells or oyster shells in my feeder, along with their food to get them to eat it. At the end of my hens laying season, I found a few soft eggs, but I think that is just from their body's slowing down. I tried putting oyster shells and egg shells in a bowl for them to peck at... and the guineas were terrified at the strange object in their coop 😂 They ended up dumping... so now it goes back in the feeder... Why does All Flock not work for you? And how?

Hello everyone! I know there has been other threads about this subject, but none really fit my situation, so I figured I would post again and hope someone might give me a little insight as to what the heck is going on!

Ok, so I have been keeping guineas for about 2 years. Started with 12, one died suddenly, but other than that they were great! I hatched around 30 from them this last spring and kept 25 to add to my flock. All has been going pretty good. Raised on mostly turkey/gamebird starter (a few times had to feed them chick when the feed store was out, but they got more gamebird than chick).

For the most part, the flocks (the originals and the new younger ones) mingled during the day, but since they were raised in different spots, one group goes to the barn, and one to their coop at night. All are trained to come back. At night they have a mixture of whatever feed I have on hand. Mostly high protein chicken pellets, sometimes scratch or dent corn. It depends on the day. They free range all day and mingle in the barnyard with turkeys, geese, ducks, and chickens.

Two things have changed a bit, and I'm not sure if there is any correlation. One, for a couple days, 4 of my ducks insisted on sleep in one of the guinea coops. No idea why, but I didn't bother removing them since it seemed fine. Now those four are back to sleeping in their coop :idunno

Also, the past few nights, all the old guineas have suddenly decided to come into the barn coop with the younger ones. For the past few months one or two would go in, but now all or almost all are sleeping in there.

Friday morning I found 2 dead guineas. It was surprising and sudden. It's been a busy week, but I don't remember any signs, and 2 in the same night made me very concerned. Not sure if they were younger or older ones.

Then last night as I was putting everyone away, I noticed one moving a tad slower than the others it was slight, but he was a tiny bit hunched and just moved different.

This morning, I found another one dead, and 2 didn't come out of the coop, they were just standing on the ground looking hunched. Not good.

The coop definitely needs a clean, so I am doing that today. (Could dry dusty poop cause something like this?) We recently had a ton of rain, so things are pretty mucky outside....maybe coccidiosis?? Would that be a problem for adult guineas like this? I've had that issue in my quail and baby poultry, but never in adult birds. Would it cause them harm to go ahead and treat them for that?

Also wondered if worms could cause this many deaths? Is there a way to tell, or should I just go ahead and worm the flock? I have a lot of guineas, is there a way to worm them without squirting something down their throat?

I also have some males that tend to bully others a lot. Could the older males now sleeping in the younger guinea coops be killing them? How would I know if that is the case? Not seeing any external signs of injury on the bodies.

Also, one last note, I found mouse poop in one of my feed bags. Not sure how long they've been pooping that bad, but could that cause deaths? I've gotten more tubs and am locking the feed up better now, but that worries me for sure. It's been maybe 4 days now since they have eating any contaminated feed. But if that might've caused it I'd love to know!

Well, sorry for the long post! I hope someone has some insight for me. I'm leaving for a week after Christmas, and this has me very worried, I don't want to loose anymore!

Any ideas or help appreciated! Thanks!
We had a similar event about ten years ago it was due to a parasite. Some micro worm. It's was tragic and took some time to get it under control. Because I am no expert I looked up folks whom are experts and this is one of them. ( not the original paper I read, this is updated in 2020.) I hope it helps. https://extension.psu.edu/deworming-backyard-poultry

I just put egg shells or oyster shells in my feeder, along with their food to get them to eat it. At the end of my hens laying season, I found a few soft eggs, but I think that is just from their body's slowing down. I tried putting oyster shells and egg shells in a bowl for them to peck at... and the guineas were terrified at the strange object in their coop 😂 They ended up dumping... so now it goes back in the feeder... Why does All Flock not work for you? And how?
All flock only contains about 1.4% calcium where layer feed may contain 4% to 6% calcium.

Layer feed is fine for adult guinea hens. When I fed layer feed, I used the 20% protein layer feed for the guineas. The higher calcium levels in layer feed may be harmful to the males and is harmful to the keets.

I think they're just dumb 😂, I love them, but they're dumb as a box of bricks.

All flock only contains about 1.4% calcium where layer feed may contain 4% to 6% calcium.

Layer feed is fine for adult guinea hens. When I fed layer feed, I used the 20% protein layer feed for the guineas. The higher calcium levels in layer feed may be harmful to the males and is harmful to the keets.
I have heard that using layer feed can give roosters (at least chicken roos) kidney problems, leading to early death. I just prefer feeding my birds the same food. I love my rooster, and so I just wanted to be on the safe side and go with my research. Plus it costs less 🤣

Back
Top Bottom