Guineas for Tick Control

Can anyone recommend a good size flock of guinea's for 7 acres (of which probably 5 is mowed - last two are thick underbrush) We have 10 chicken chicks now that we're building the coop for with plans to raise the guinea chicks up with some more assorted chicks. We'll then integrate the new chicks with the big girl flock in the coop/run for about 2 months time and then free range the guineas during the day. We have a ton of coyotes, owls and hawks in the area - as well as the usual skunks, raccoons fisher cats, etc. (central massachusetts) Hoping that the guineas will take care of the ticks in field, stay away from the street and come back at night. Any input is welcomed - we're new to chickens and very excited. our current flock is 9 black pullets (unsure of specific breed) and 1 yellowish brownish one the kids named Angel that we're hoping is not a cornish.......

Sometimes Guinea fowl will roost at night, sometimes not. You should know they can be a bit noisey. I have chickens for the main purpose of eating ticks. I thought about Guinea hens but they like to warm themselves on pavement and if you're near a road, it's good night for a warm sleeping hen on the road. I instead choose breeds who are voracious foragers. I have Black Australorps, Golden Wyandottes, Barred Rocks and Wellsummers. I would suggest sticking to darker colored breeds as they're more difficult to see. Whenever I fed my baby chicks, I would ring a small dinner bell. Now, whenever they hear that bell, they come running back. Sure beats chasing them around. Chickens will naturally want to return to their home at night to roost and sleep. Please make sure you provide a safe coop where your local predators can not enter. There's plenty of info on this site for proper building.

Also, the above mentioned breeds are excellent egg layers!

Back
Top Bottom