guineas laying EVERYWHERE!!! how to stop it?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
I have only 6 guineas and 1 tiny guinea chick. I would LOVE to put some more guinea eggs in the incubator but my guinea hen is laying EVERYWHERE!!! I have no idea where her nest is at the moment. Its got to have about 40 eggs in it. I know this because every day our female guinea is missing for a few hours. At night when I put them to roost, she is back in the coop. I have tried putting a bunch of golfballs in a nest together hoping a guinea would see it and start laying there. So far, it hasn't worked at all and im pretty sure it won't work. Does anyone know of a way to get your guineas to lay in a certain spot?

Guineas lay where guineas want to when they free range.

To find the nest watch the males around 10pm, they will be on guard, if you can watch them without being seen they will go into the area the hen is setting and sit in front of her,

If they see you they will chatter and walk away from her area and watch to see if you are following them, this is how they keeps the hen safe.

They like to nest in brush piles,beside buildings under foliage and along fence rows that are grown up.

I hatch hundreds of eggs at a time from my guineas and they are all from nest i find by watching the males.

Guinea hens also make a distinct call when they are laying, it's the only time i hear it unless they are sitting the nest.

Good luck on finding the nest and hurry cause laying season is comming to an end.

You can't stop it. They are WILD birds and will lay eggs everywhere and anywhere. If you contain them in a chicken house, then you will get them to lay in a certain spot. But I'm sure you don't want to do that.

Good luck with the egg hunt.
gig.gif

My guineas live with my chickens. Penned up at night and freerange during the day. Before laying season began back in April, I left everybody penned in their run for a couple weeks until the guineas started laying and even then left them penned in for another 2 weeks. Now my entire flock freeranges everyday and the guineas use the nest box in the coop with the chickens.

Leaning a pallet against the garage worked for me. She liked the triangular space and my husband cut boards that fin into the ends so she would be secure at night when she started to sit.

Quote:
Exactly. Although mine have their own coop I keep the females up until their eggs are laid for the day in one of the many nests (plywood leaning against the walls) then let them out.

Follow them around and I bet you'll find her nest!
wink.png

That's what I had to do with a chicken!
roll.png

I just knew she had a nest some where because she would be out in the morning when I went to milk the cow so I finally followed her and I found her nest with 7 lil' eggies in it!
th.gif

That's naughty little henny!
tongue.png

Good Luck!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom