Guineas or Geese? Which are better flock protectors?

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
I have a flock of chickens that have dangers all around them, (snakes, hawks, owls, raccoons, neighbors dogs, my dogs, coyotes, foxes, panthers, you name it!), so I was considering getting a flock guardian. No dogs, they're too big. I've narrowed it down to two different options. A flock of guineas, or a single goose?? I've heard many positive reviews from both. My local feed store guy said he had a Toulouse goose that fought a fox that entered his chicken house, and WON! Alternatively I've had someone tell me his guineas fought away a small pack of coyotes that came too close to his yard. What are you guys' experiences with the two species as guardians, and which would you recommend?

Any “flock protector” that is poultry is an alarm, that’s it. At best, the “guardian” will sound an alarm and run for cover, and the rest of the flock may or may not learn that sound means to make themselves scarce. Speaking from experience, a single goose in a flock is miserable without goose friends; she did fine when they were young but as soon as she matured she did not like the ducks anymore and did not do the job I intended her to do. She went to a new home with many other geese and inserted herself as “top dog”. :p pairs of adult geese may be of more use in a penned situation, but they will definitely go off on their own and any warnings they give, are only useful as a by product of their purpose of warning each other. They don’t have any intention of protecting their other-species flock mates. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have a flock of chickens that have dangers all around them, (snakes, hawks, owls, raccoons, neighbors dogs, my dogs, coyotes, foxes, panthers, you name it!), so I was considering getting a flock guardian. No dogs, they're too big. I've narrowed it down to two different options. A flock of guineas, or a single goose?? I've heard many positive reviews from both. My local feed store guy said he had a Toulouse goose that fought a fox that entered his chicken house, and WON! Alternatively I've had someone tell me his guineas fought away a small pack of coyotes that came too close to his yard. What are you guys' experiences with the two species as guardians, and which would you recommend?
Guineas may alert your poultry but they will not protect them.

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Goose

:welcome :frow My suggestion is a covered run/pen with electric wire around it. This coyote knows the electric wire is there. I have also see a fox. Originally a bobcat dug under this fence before the electric wire was put up and killed 14 birds. Now I also have concrete under the gates a heavy duty netting covering the pens. This is a chick grow-out coop.
1546386297663.jpg

I have a guinea in with my chickens. She thinks she is a chicken. Well, she hates the lot of young ones I have in with them. They are about 11-12 weeks old and have been out there for a couple months. She still hates them and torments them. I have come to despise her. I cant catch her or she would be in a pen alone. Ive chased her with a net more times than my old self can handle. Ive tried to sneak up on her at night- nope. Shes like quicksilver.
This morning at 4 am, my flock was in a panic. I went out there to the guineas alarm call. She was on the center roost where my young chickens roost. All my young chickens were piled in a corner and I had a dead pullet by the door. She was stiff. She was not just killed. I do not know if the guinea caused her to die,or if the guinea was sounding the alarm because she was dead.
Either way, I chased that guinea until I gave up.
I have four week old guinea keets in a brooder. My goal was to put them in the back pen once they are big enough- and hope that this guinea joined them. This morning at 4:30 am, I would have given them all to whoever could catch this female.

My point is- I would advise not to use guineas as flock protectors.
Im ready to not have them, and Ill get a baby monitor for the coop.

Well then what can I use to protect my flock? I have two roosters currently out of my 12, but one is a (rather proud) bantam, and the other is a pretty submissive Lakenvelder. Would they do enough of the protecting?

Back
Top Bottom