1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guineas stuck in a tree!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JVarga, Nov 11, 2015.

1. JVarga

JVarga New Egg

Jun 1, 2015
    And they won't come down!
    I recently acquired 3 new adult guineas. I left them in their new coop for 2 weeks as suggested. I fed them at night so they would get used to returning for food. They came back the first night and now for two nights in a row they've been in the tree. They won't come down! I restricted their food and I made a lot of noise when it was feeding time, nothing is working! Please help, my only concern is I live in eastern Ontario, Canada...our winters are wicked.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry you are having issues. I'm not quite sure what more to suggest to you. Hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you. Good luck!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about Guineas (never had any), but definitely post on the Guinea link that NorthFlChick left with you and take advantage of our Guinea experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They probably need an enclosed run with top, then they wouldn't end up roosting in trees.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Ya guinea are something alright but the first part is someone already let them roost in the trees and that is where it is most comfortable for them and to catch them is not going to be easy for a new owner ..........

[​IMG]

great as a group but they are not chickens .....

[​IMG]
    They do like to roost up high but the only thing to worry about is getting wet or high winds if there is a group of them but remember these guinea are the best security guards you can get and letting them stay up high is great for them and it might not hurt if you put a little house for them in the tree also a bit of tin around the trunk of the tree to stop predators from interring there safe domain ..... [​IMG]

The best to do is extreme weather is to put them in a very secure coop with high roosting for the guinea [​IMG]

Good luck with your flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by