Guineas, turkeys, and chicks

Well that explains the roosting! Thanks for the info on the Toms, do you know what age the Toms start being active/aggressive? I was hoping the 2 males would be ok together but in hindsight maybe it wasn't such a good idea!

Well that explains the roosting! Thanks for the info on the Toms, do you know what age the Toms start being active/aggressive? I was hoping the 2 males would be ok together but in hindsight maybe it wasn't such a good idea!
It isn't so much about the age as it is about the time of year. Around here, the fighting stars in February. Depending on where you are located, it may be earlier or later.

If you had your choice and only wanted a couple you should have gotten two hens.

I would like to add on to this conversation. I brought home 2 young turkeys 3.5 months old, both Toms a few days ago and put them in a large fenced area with all my chickens, 2 Roosters and a momma chicken with her 2 week old babies. The Toms just started walking around like they had been there all along, no fighting among anyone. When it started to get dark they just followed all the chickens in and roosted in their house(its plenty big). Today its raining and they all seem to hang under cover together, with no issues. It almost seems too good to be true and after reading a few posts I am worried now that when they mature will they bother my hens? As of now they all seem fine together but I don't want it to change when their hormones kick in. Also, is it weird that they went right inside at night with them instead of roosting in a tree? They seem so happy and calm right now! I'm not sure if this was the right place to post or not...sorry if its in the wrong place!
I appreciate the questions! Helps me learn too

It isn't so much about the age as it is about the time of year. Around here, the fighting stars in February. Depending on where you are located, it may be earlier or later.

If you had your choice and only wanted a couple you should have gotten two hens.
I am in SW Florida. Maybe I will see if I can swap them for girls....good idea!

Back
Top Bottom