Guineas w/ my Chickens

davef72

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2015
East Texas
I have a dozen 8 week old chicks.

I'm interested in buying two guineas that are about 8 months. What do y'all think? My chickens do NOT free range, but I know I'd have to do so w/ the guineas.

How would I house them? Could they go in the coop w/ my chicks or just let them hang around the house and roost in trees at night?

By the way...I live in Texas so winter is not a problem.

While I don't personally keep guineas I have heard a lot about them and how they interact with chickens. Guineas take a while to get use to a new home and begin to perch there, so guinea would have to be locked up for a few weeks at least to "bond" to their new home and not just run off when let free.
Guineas can also be bullies if not raised with chickens from a young age, so introductions would be best if done slowly and through wire during this time as well.
However, other then that, they should get along well. Likely the guineas will choose if they want to roost in a tree or in the barn, but if you lock them up in the barn/coop the first few weeks they may continue to return to it even when let to free-range.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
smile.png

I had guineas before I had chickens. The guineas were babies when I got them and only 2 months old before I got chicks. They always got along fine - all trained to come to the coop at night. The chickens are in enclosed area but the guineas flew out as soon as the coop door was opened. When they laid eggs, they could be gone for 2-3 days. I could hear them and always found their stash of eggs and made them come home (lots of predators where we live).

I agree with GitaBooks, they will take some time to get used to their new home - I really don't know if they will. I have neighbors around me that have tried to integrate grown guineas into their flocks without much success.

They are great fun and good watchdogs .... good luck!

My Guineas get along with the flock just fine. They all go to there coop at night. Each have there own coop. And all free range togather all day never had a problem. I haven't housed Guineas with chickens ever though.

Back
Top Bottom