Guineas Wandered Into Our Yard

bayoubound

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
Two Guinea fowl have wandered into our yard and been hanging around for the last week. We have attempted to find owners and even posted on local lost pet Facebook group with no luck.

My wife has decided she wants to try and take them in but we aren't sure where to start. She has been putting out wild bird seed the last few days and they seem to be eating it. How can we show them that they have a home here? What would be the next step? Thanks!

Post pictures and we'll tell you if you have a pair.
All they need is a safe high roost for the night. I would leave them outside and let them do bug control. They might eventually follow the chickens in at night. They can eat the same feed as your chickens.

Post pictures and we'll tell you if you have a pair.
All they need is a safe high roost for the night. I would leave them outside and let them do bug control. They might eventually follow the chickens in at night. They can eat the same feed as your chickens.
We actually don't own any chickens or any other animals besides two dogs. I don't have any decent pictures at the moment but will try to get some this afternoon. I have read that they can fly/roost high but we have not seen them fly at all. We are wondering if their wings may be clipped? There is a canal that runs along our property and they seem to be roosting on the ground in the brush along side that canal. Is there something that I need to build for them?

If they cannot fly then they are completely vulnerable at night and anything can easily find and kill them. So if you wish to keep them your best option is a chicken coop with a ram to their roosts. With only 2 and them free ranging you do not have to build a large coop, but beware of chicken math.

Then the next question is, how do I get them into a coop when they aren't even used to being around us much. They don't run off but they are still hesitant for us to get close to them.

If they associate you with food, they will associate you with home, like any stray animal all you need so is feed them.
Leave food out in a pan everyday, get a coop built or bought. Place the food dish near the coop door and then after a day or so place the food dish inside the coop. You just need to make it so they can see it. I usually leave a trail of feed when I want my birds to move coops.

Here is a picture of the birds. I was wrong about clipped wings as they can definitely fly. They made there way over a fenced portion of our yard and ended up high in the trees at one point.

Back
Top Bottom