Guineas wouldn't go in the coop tonight

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
I didn't get home from work until just after dark and the Guineas were flying in the trees. They have always went in the coop. This morning though I couldn't keep the cows out of the coop (which I open during the day) so I had roped off the upper part of the door -- it didn't effect the chickens' or Guineas' ability to go in the coop but kept the cows out-- this change apparently sent at least 7 of the 14 Guineas to the big oak tree above the coop-- best I can see & count -- they are very high up. My lone white one is up there too. I have a Great Horned Owl that lives in my forest -- they are just sitting ducks -- nothing I could do as they are 50-60 feet up. Some of the Guineas did go in the coop. Guineas are unpredictable.

Guineas have their own agenda and it's very hard to change them. My guineas have ended up in the trees several times but seemed glad to go into the coop the next evening. I'll be sending you positive thoughts that your owl goes somewhere else tonight.

its the rope. this past summer i had a kiddy pool for the ducks, one day i left the hose streched out into the yard by the pool, the guineas had a fit and walk around the hose. the would not cross over it. the went around. it was very funny.

well they all made it to live another day, even the white one who you could see sitting up there from a mile away. I left the flood lights on on that end of the house (in my mind, to "discourage" the owl -- I know, I know, no evidence that would work). They all went in the coop the next night but tonight, pouring down rain, again, ten are back in the tree-- can they make it out in the rain & the trees & no leaves? The white one went in thank goodness. CRAZY BIRDS; it is raining hard here. Why are they out there again?

Literly had the same problem tonight. All winter they have been locked up in their coop and the day i decide to let them stretch their wings that night they roost on top of the hay wagons in the barn....guineas are very frusterating at times
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Quote:
I had the same problem this winter. My husband likes to call them the long lost cousin of the DoDo Bird and or Lemmings. I discovered I had to leave the coop door open to about the same degree every day or they didn't want to go back in at night. I don't know what to tell you to do about the cows. Other than restricting their area away from the coop while it is open. I have to do the "Animal Shuffle" around here every day because of the birds. Dogs are not allowed with the birds. Goats are not allowed with the cars. One dog is not allowed with the goats. Every one needs play time.

9am Feed the bottle baby goats and let the dogs out to play.

2 PM feed babies again and put the dogs up then let the birds out

Dusk after the birds go back to the coop close them up and feed the goats and let the dogs out again.

Even slight changes in their environment or schedule and they loose their heads. Which is really difficult for me because I am not very good at keeping a strict schedule.

Back
Top Bottom