Guineas?

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
Are they good eating? I've never had guinea, but I've got some nasty @#$@$ here and they're getting the boot SOON. They're about 12-13 weeks old now.

What can anyone tell me about butchering them? Thanks in advance.
big_smile.png

I have had them many times.. If you are expecting them to taste like chicken you are going to be disapointed. maybe that is why some people say they taste gamey

Pheasant tastes gamey.. guineas taste like guineas..

they are easy to process. the feathers come off quite easily..

because they are active birds the meat might be stringy..

like any lean high protein meat cook it on lower heat..

Shellie, you make me laugh, because I saw your post about selling these beasts, and then I see this one here.

I'm right there with ya, sister!

Have seven miserable 18 week-old guineas that started torturing my pullets, and are now living in guinea prison. I have only two hens and five cock birds, and think that may be why they got so ornery. I'm going to try culling three cocks, leaving me with two pairs, and see if that improves their behavior.

I was going to butcher them before Thanksgiving, but they are so scrawny!

I may have someone who wants to buy them, having trouble connecting.

If not -- off with their heads.

Since you don't have a guinea prison handy, I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Mine try to break out and go after the chooks -- I had two escapes before I got the stall guinea-proofed, and the first thing they did was try to mug the chickens.

I have 2 male guineas who will be going to the dinner plate. I will be putting them in guinea prison (good term for it) and feeding them broiler. Mine are about 4-5 lbs now. The last one weighed about 3 lbs-3 1/2 lbs. Mine are 4 months.

They have a deep breast with more meat on it than they appear too with feather on them.

I understand that people are fond of their feathers for trout fishing. They do have beautiful plumage.

I posted an ad to Craigslist. If no one responds, these things will be freezer meat. LOL I'll stick them in a dog crate in a few days.

I have Guineas also, I love mine and in the Spring and Summer they keep the snakes away and the garden clean. I s it the noise they make that bother you?
Mine are good watch dogs, they let me know when there is anything around! I do have to say that mine are about 100 feet from the house. They are hard to get in this area and are more expensive than chickens.

Quote:
No it's definitely not the noise that bothers me. I love them. They are nasty. I had to slather my buff orp roo in neosporin this afternoon. They almost ripped one of his wattles clear off!

Back
Top Bottom