Guineas

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
I just hatched my first 4 keets this week! Major thanks to a couple members that guided me along 🤗
Now I have moved 10 eggs from a clutch of 30+ eggs my broody hens have been sitting on. I know I have 7 females, but only 2-5 rotate sitting on the eggs. With one in particular that gets stuck with them the most.
I think she’s getting sick of it. Yesterday she left the eggs unattended for at least 3hrs if not closer to 5. I took the opportunity to remove the 10 that I could see development in. One egg looks like I wrote 5/12 on it. There should be seven eggs with that date, but it has rubbed off. I was trying to see if they were eating eggs because I’ve seen a big drop in how many were being laid each day. And I wasn’t finding them outside. Of course now I’d be highly unlikely to find them with all the tall grass and thick woods.
Anyway, that would put them, or some, to hatch this weekend. I candled them all and saw movement in all ten. One thing looked off though. I feel like in addition to the air cell their was a second shadow that I don’t recall seeing in my last batch. I thought it was liquid at first, but it doesn’t move as much as a liquid would. So I’m stumped.
Here are the 10 in the incubator.
FBEBA35E-1E33-4083-A2D9-183360B2C688.png

And three eggs I candled a couple days ago.
E2B30264-C8DA-4B98-BBEA-DCC1CFD404D5.jpeg
0061EB3E-E49C-4F94-8CBD-279C4B77EB86.jpeg
827CB94C-0E87-40EC-9BE8-DE9E515D3CC8.jpeg

I’m a little torn on when to lockdown. The 5/12 eggs should be ready tomorrow but a few others look like they might not be as far along. I’m kinda thinking I’ll keep the turner on till Friday unless I see pips. Does this sound alright? Or would an early lockdown be ok?

I just hatched my first 4 keets this week! Major thanks to a couple members that guided me along 🤗
Now I have moved 10 eggs from a clutch of 30+ eggs my broody hens have been sitting on. I know I have 7 females, but only 2-5 rotate sitting on the eggs. With one in particular that gets stuck with them the most.
I think she’s getting sick of it. Yesterday she left the eggs unattended for at least 3hrs if not closer to 5. I took the opportunity to remove the 10 that I could see development in. One egg looks like I wrote 5/12 on it. There should be seven eggs with that date, but it has rubbed off. I was trying to see if they were eating eggs because I’ve seen a big drop in how many were being laid each day. And I wasn’t finding them outside. Of course now I’d be highly unlikely to find them with all the tall grass and thick woods.
Anyway, that would put them, or some, to hatch this weekend. I candled them all and saw movement in all ten. One thing looked off though. I feel like in addition to the air cell their was a second shadow that I don’t recall seeing in my last batch. I thought it was liquid at first, but it doesn’t move as much as a liquid would. So I’m stumped.
Here are the 10 in the incubator. View attachment 2175886
And three eggs I candled a couple days ago.
View attachment 2175881View attachment 2175882View attachment 2175883

I’m a little torn on when to lockdown. The 5/12 eggs should be ready tomorrow but a few others look like they might not be as far along. I’m kinda thinking I’ll keep the turner on till Friday unless I see pips. Does this sound alright? Or would an early lockdown be ok?
An early lockdown should be fine. Glad your eggs are finally fertile!

An early lockdown should be fine. Glad your eggs are finally fertile!
Me too!

I woke up this morning just in time to see the first of the 10 hatch! It was externally pipped for over 36hrs. It was so exciting to see him work his way out☺️
So far I can’t see any pips on the other eggs. Hopefully this little one will encourage others to get moving. Haha.
320D87C5-8490-453F-822C-C378BBA62F91.png
995C2A36-9603-4A41-9CD6-4279CCF33C2E.png

I think it’s pretty crazy that we are on day 33 for some eggs and they are just hatching today 😳
My guess is that my guinea hens must not have kept the temp consistent enough? Or just not warm enough? I feel bad that I’ve had them on lock down for so long. I suspect I have already lost an egg do to lack of movement:/

I think it’s pretty crazy that we are on day 33 for some eggs and they are just hatching today 😳
My guess is that my guinea hens must not have kept the temp consistent enough? Or just not warm enough? I feel bad that I’ve had them on lock down for so long. I suspect I have already lost an egg do to lack of movement:/
Wow. Yeah. A lot of guinea hens lay so many eggs that they can't properly incubate the ones on the outer edges. I'm guessing that's what's happening. That's too bad you lost one. How many have hatched so far?

Wow. Yeah. A lot of guinea hens lay so many eggs that they can't properly incubate the ones on the outer edges. I'm guessing that's what's happening. That's too bad you lost one. How many have hatched so far?
I have 7 of the 10 hatched so far. 8 is in the process of zipping right now. 9 has pipped internally and I have a little safety hole in its egg.
10 has no movement I can see, but lots of veins still. So I’m not sure it dead or not. For now I’m just letting it stay to see what happens in case it is still viable.

I forgot pictures:)
Here are the 4 from the previous batch along with 3 of the 10.
2DF06AE4-921D-4F64-89DB-C4A518330F19.jpeg

The 3 that hatched yesterday getting moved to the brooder.
FDD8971D-31F3-4B18-8471-1BA084C1F94A.jpeg

6 of 10 that are currently in the brooder with their 4 older siblings.
FCAFE42D-77D1-40DD-9921-23F6B12D8FD1.jpeg

I have 7 of the 10 hatched so far. 8 is in the process of zipping right now. 9 has pipped internally and I have a little safety hole in its egg.
10 has no movement I can see, but lots of veins still. So I’m not sure it dead or not. For now I’m just letting it stay to see what happens in case it is still viable.
That sounds great! If 10 still has veins I bet it's still viable. I've had several like that before. If I remember correctly, most of them hatched. Keep me posted! Those keets are adorable, love the pics.

Back
Top Bottom