GUINEAS

DESI

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
I was recently diagnosed with babesia and lyme disease .I have 14 hens but would like to get some guinea hens ,I guess as added protection for my children.I heard they are great at eating tics even the little deer tics. How will my hens take to them .I heard they are pretty self sufficent,roosting in tress .Will they eat the layer feed eventually?What starter feed do I use. We were going to let them free range but build them a seperate pen and quarters.How will the hens take to them I know they get quite big will they bother my layers ? I have several breeds RIR,BARRED ROCKS,sex linkes , Old english, Easter eggers,They are about 1 yr old.We have 3 acres whats a good # to start with??We plan on putting them up @ night.We free range the girls while were home but I would like to leave these out if possible as much as I can ,how are there protective instincts??

I can speak only from my experience. I had 3 guineas in with my 7 hens and 1 roo. They were in with them for 6 months or more.

They ate the same laying mash as my chickens.

After I got the roo out of there, the guineas started pecking on my hens. I also had alot of smashed eggs...I don't know if it was because the roo was chasing the chickens or if the guineas were doing the chasing. I just know since I removed the roo and evicted the guineas I'm now getting seven eggs a day with no broken ones.

The guineas are now totally free range and they roost on top of the chicken pen and spend the day hanging pretty close to the pen/coop. I throw out a little scratch for them once a day.

Don't know if this helps but good luck.

Thank you so much1 I kinda figured it would be best to keep them somewhat seperated esp. in the pen I guess in the yard we'll have to be mediator at least for awhile ,maybe they'll keep to themselves.Wishful thinking..So well make seperate quarters .How about the tics do you notice a big difference ??I've just been so sick I wouldn't want my kids to catch this ,I know I can't always be "mother hen"
big_smile.png
but any little bit helps.I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.I found a great doctor ...finally.

yes guienies can eat the layer feed just like the hens no prob.an your right they will cut the tick prob down in your yard.they will roost with the chickens.

My guineas free range. I kept them locked in a coop for 2 months after I got them when they were 4 weeks old. I nce I let them out they came back to eat and roost but one night decided they would rather roost with the goats. They have been there since. They never stray very far at all. They police the area pretty good too. If I can't see them I can always hear them.

I've heard they are good guard "dogs" better than a goose. Are they loud?We live in a rural place my neighbors dog comes over every once in awhile ,luckily nock on wood he hasnt gotten my girls (we have a rubber pelat gun)I woory about hawks though we have red tails and every once in awhile an eagle not much you can do about that even if your right beside them .We've been pretty lucky.Im sure they would make great alarms .

Loud? Sorry can't hear you! The guineas are squawking! LOL

They can be very loud but you get used to it and they become background noise. When something sets them off you'll have a look see and go back to whatever you were doing.

Honestly, I love my guineas and plan to hatch more this spring.

How are their eggs ,to eat in size ,color....How many should I get? We have 3 acres,my husband has forbidden me to become addicted to these as well .He says don't name them and don't get attached. I love my girls!!!
lol.png

I'm looking forward to it,you forget when theyre little almost makes me want a seperate layer pen,ha ha he'll kill me. But I have to teenage boys.... to feed
wink.png

That "guineas are great for ticks" is the latest fad to be passed around among poultry circles. It is true, but so do ducks, chickens, turkeys and peafowl. Guineas may have a slight advantage over most of the others, because they may range slightly wider, and may avoid predators a little better, but it's certainly nothing that is that much greater than the others. I suspect it's more that guinea promoters stumbled on a good catch phrase to make their favorite bird more likeable in some people's eyes. I do like guineas, and I've had many over the years, but this hype seems more like propaganda than fact, to me.

Back
Top Bottom