Gulping?

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
When I had my chicks out today, I noticed that several of them were "gulping" ever so often. What is this? It's mainly my golden sebrights, but I do see other chicks do it. They are about 1 week old. Is it something I should worry about? Are they hungry? thirsty? Do they need grit? I let them run out in the yard on warm days and they like to hang out under a small pine tree we have. I imagine they would find their own grit. They have food and water 24/7. I replenish it in the morning and evening. Is it too hot in the brooder? the thermometer says 85 but the thermometer IS NOT directly under the light. It's half way between the light and a shaded spot in the brooder. I have them on Dumor Chick Starter/Grower. On that note, what kind of water should I use, tap or RO? Thanks for your help!

I put my two young showgirls out today in a cage in our yard. They are about a month old and they were doing this also. I put a shade cloth over their cage and refreshed their water. They took a few drinks, layed down in the shade and seem fine now. I think they were just too hot.

Back
Top Bottom