Gun owners and shooters, may I ask your opinions, please

I love my 22 rifle with scope. We have several hand guns and shotguns too, but I am not a big fan of shotguns, but I do own a 410. IMO, I am an excellent shot with a 22 rifle, so the need for a shotgun is minimal for me. A bullet placed in the right spot will kill anything usually.

One other thing you need to consider with predators is how lethal is your firearm.

I know a lot of people here are very interested in how humane everything is. People plagued by predators may be less inclined to be as humane.

It's very likely that anything you hit will die. Without practice and a good weapon selection it's very likely that anything you shoot at will die a slow, painful death. Granted a removed predator is a removed predator, but this moral dilema may be one you find worth considering.

I agree with everyone who is saying that choice of firearms is a very personal thing. You have to find something that is comfortable for YOU to shoot. Then practice, practice until you can shoot it well. Remember that what is comfortable for you to shoot may not be what is comfortable for your DH. This is many times more true for handguns, plus there are additional issues with handguns you may want to consider.

For varmints your best solution is probably a rifle or shotgun. For critters such as raccoons, opossums, fox... a .22 rifle will do the job and the ammo is cheap and widely available. Shotgun will also be effective, but you will need to be closer to your target. I hesitate to recommend the 12 gauge shotgun for a new shooter who is also female. Even with lower recoil loads, I have enough difficulty managing the weight and recoil of a 12 gauge that I just don't want to practice with it and so I am not very good. A 20 gauge is much easier to handle and will still get your varminting job done just fine. Then again, go ahead and try a 12 gauge if you get an opportunity. Maybe you're much more buff than I am. (Maybe that's not hard, haha.)

For handguns for personal defense, I heartily recommend that you and your DH go and shoot as many as you possibly can before you buy. It is likely that what works best for you is not what works best for your DH. Don't just go to a shop and handle handguns. That will only get you so far. You need to experience how they shoot to really determine what you like. Look around and ask your instructor or ask at local gun shops where you can go to rent and shoot handguns. If you have any friends with guns, ask them to take you to a range and shoot their guns. This is very important. Even someone who has some experience with guns won't know how they like a particular gun before they get a chance to shoot it. And you may be staking your life on being able to comfortably and effectively use your gun under stress.

For self defense, you also need to consider whether you want a gun for the home or are you going to carry it. If you're going to carry it, how are you going to do that? Most places, you need a permit to carry concealed. You also need to have a gun and a holster that work for YOUR body so that it IS concealed. A great place to get an idea of the various issues involved is a website called Cornered Cat. It is written by a woman for women. www.corneredcat.com/

Good
luck, and feel free to PM if you have any questions about what I've written here.

Since we have a fox that visits our backyard and has already made off with several of our chickens, I have a Remington 870 pump in 20 ga. sitting at the back door loaded with #3 buckshot (approx. 20 .25 pellets). This fox is extremely fast so a rifle would not work for me! When I leave the house, the 870 pump rides in a rack on my Kawasaki Mule. It has a screw in choke and synthetic stock and fore end so that I don't have to worry about scratches and scuffs. It is the Youth Model which makes it short and light and manueverable. All the ladies in our family and friends enjoy the target practice in the backyard with this gun! Bruce

A saying I heard says, "a pistol or revolver is only good until you can get home to get your REAL gun!" Handguns are only really good in close encounters AND after you have practiced long enough to be very accurate. Rmember to ALWAYS be aware of your target and what is BEHIND your target! Once you pull that trigger, that bullet WON'T stop. My choice for predators, depending on what they are, is a good old 12 ga. pump shotgun. One that holds four shells. The nice CHUCK-CHUCK sound it makes will also put the two legged variety in the freeze mode! In time of panic, like a home invasion situation, even if you are good at shooting a handgun, when push comes to shove and the adrenaline is flowing, accuracy may not be so good. A shotgun aimed in the "general direction" will get the job done, and if it doesn't with the first shot, CHUCK-CHUCK, and shoot again! I own a Ruger 9mm pistol, a Savage 30.30 for hunting, two 12 ga. single shot shotguns (wish I never sold the pump!), and a 20 ga. single shot shotgun. Lots of women are intimidated by the 12 ga. "kick". All shotguns and rifles will kick, some much more than others. The lighter the weapon, the harder they kick/recoil. I'm still not very fast or confident in my 9mm yet, though it is pretty accurate. I prefer a revolver for the simpler mechanics of it all, and they don't jam. Had a Ruger .357 magnum revolver that I loved, (wish I hadn't sold that one too!). Now, if you are talking about bears as the predator, don't use a shotgun!! You'll just tick them off unless you get them right between the eyes at a pretty close range! Even then, they will come after you. For them, you'll need a bigger caliber rifle, 30.06 at the least, and preferably way more! Handle and try to shoot as many handguns and long guns as you can to get the feel of them before you purchase! And..practice, practice, PRACTICE!!

I totally agree with many posts here. I can only tell you what I have and like. I have 2 .22 LRs that I love and a .223 rifle that I love even more. I've yet to have to use them on anything live. I live within city limits so other than the occasional curious skunk that is foiled by the completely enclosed run, or the neighbors fat tabby that my dog LOVES chasing out of the yard, so far-- we don't have a lot of predators perse. I figure the winter months may change that since we have had foxes in our backyard on occasion over the years.

But as for just shooting, my .223 is the best. No recoil, easy to handle, light, accurate like you wouldn't believe. Love it. I have a small shotgun as well (12 gauge) but honestly, I hate it. It's too light and it kicks horribly. Even my husband doesn't like it. We're keeping it until we can get what we want, but for a first time gun owner, I'd say a shotgun may not be the best choice unless you have the kind of dough to spend on a really well made one with the right heft to it to reduce the "kicked by a deranged mule" factor. But again, that's just my opinion.
big_smile.png

Taurus Judge. It shoots .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .410 shotgun shells

I carry it with me all the time and feel very confident that it will protect me. my DH uses his as a farm gun for predators -- hogs, snakes, coons, etc.

You're doing the right thing by getting professional instruction. American shooters are generally over-equipped and very under-trained. Most of the people who will give you advice on the internet have never had any formal training whatsoever. The subject just attracts way more than it's fair share of ignorance and BS. Take some courses at a place like Front Sight or the Sig Academy, and you'll discover the answers to your questions in the best possible way. One of the worst mistakes shooters make is 'learning' from "a friend who knows all about guns", or "my uncle who was in the army".

I'll just post the four basic rules of gun handling, because they can't be reinforced enough:

All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for most inadvertent discharges. Keep your booger-hook off the bang-button.

Identify your target, and what is behind it. A tiny lawyer is attached to every projectile that you launch.

I agree with most other posters that you should start with a .22 or shotgun, and both have their place.

I would lean toward a .22 as an only gun. it will hit farther then a shotgun and has more precision, a shotgun will hit what your aiming at and everything around it. While a shotgun has less range, a .22 isn't going to go a mile unless you point it at 45 degrees.

I'll put in another vote for a .22 long rifle. It's a great choice for someone's first firearm. I have an older Remington single shot (with scope) that I learned to shoot with when I was about 10, and I still use it. Good for target practice, dead accurate, and will take care of most smaller predators. No recoil, and not loud enough to warrant earplugs. If you want to go larger at some point, a .223 or something similar is a good choice. Louder, more recoil, but not enough to knock you on your butt either.

Handguns are tricky. The recoil from some can be tough (especially for women) and it takes a lot of practice to become very accurate. I've shot a .44 Magnum (Ruger) which was waaaaaaaaay too much for me to handle. A Smith & Wesson .357 Mag is better, but still packs a wallop. It's a lot of power to be holding in your hands. My husband recently bought a S&W .40 cal, which I haven't shot yet, but plan on it. I've also shot a black powder .44, which was easier to handle.

Find out what works best for you, and make sure you are comfortable with it. Being uncomfortable with a firearm is a big no-no, so find something that you like, are comfortable with, and have fun with.

Back
Top Bottom